[SOLVED] Adding Thunderbolt To my PC

leprince2007

Prominent
Aug 21, 2019
Hello everybody,
I would like to add Thunderbolt to my PC, but I am having trouble finding the starting point. Here's what I have on my tower:
  • 3 full-height PCI
  • 1 full-height PCIe x1
  • 2 full-height PCIe x16
What is pci express version in my pc?
Is there a thunderbolt card that works with my pc?

My tower is a hp 8200, with an i5 2500 and 4 GB of RAM,for more details see specs:
https://support.hp.com/th-en/document/c02781555

Solution
You computer doesn't support thunderbolt at all, if I understand Intel's design.

It relies on the chipset on the motherboard, even for expansion cards. So you need at least a 100 and up series motherboard or X99/X299 motherboard. Those cards you see on the market are usually designed for specific motherboards.

That applies to Thunderbolt 3.

Even the farthest back Thunderbolt 2 device for a desktop was Z87 (Haswell) which is still newer than your LGA1155 board.

Thunderbolt 1 was more or less an Apple exclusive as far as I can tell. So while there are many thunderbolt peripherals out there there isn't an adapter card for them that you can plug in.

Really the advantages of thunderbolt don't do much for desktops. You can plug PCIe...

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
You computer doesn't support thunderbolt at all, if I understand Intel's design.

It relies on the chipset on the motherboard, even for expansion cards. So you need at least a 100 and up series motherboard or X99/X299 motherboard. Those cards you see on the market are usually designed for specific motherboards.

Even the farthest back Thunderbolt 2 device for a desktop was Z87 (Haswell) which is still newer than your LGA1155 board.

Thunderbolt 1 was more or less an Apple exclusive as far as I can tell. So while there are many thunderbolt peripherals out there there isn't an adapter card for them that you can plug in.

Really the advantages of thunderbolt don't do much for desktops. You can plug PCIe devices in directly.

Last edited:
Reactions: leprince2007
Solution

leprince2007

Prominent
Aug 21, 2019

Really the advantages of thunderbolt don't do much for desktops. You can plug PCIe devices in directly.
Thanks alot for your reply
I want to know onething:
what is the version of my" pci express" ports?