[SOLVED] Adding two more 2x8GB? 3200Hz

Jan 4, 2019
So I made the semi kneejerk decision to just buy a new computer instead of upgrading my pretty old one. I'm excited but having second thoughts about my choice of ram and am almost deadset on adding more.

-I7-8700K
10% Overclocking service

-Asrock Z390 Phantom Gaming 4

-RTX 2080ti

-16GB (8GBx2) DDR4/3200MHz (ADATA Spectrix D80 RGB Hybrid Liquid Heatsink Cooling

I went with 16gb ram but would like to add 16gb more. They can't edit my order though.

So will it be okay to add two more 2x8GB sticks of the same exact RAM from say Amazon and just plug them in and be good to go?

10% seems like a mild overclock for an 8700K and 3200Hz not super fast, so do you think having 4x8gb (rather than 2x16) will be okay?

Is it asking for trouble mixing different batches of ram from different sources - even if they are exactly the same on paper?

Is upgrading to 32gb just a stupid idea in general? I really dislike RAM bottlenecks so that's where this whole idea comes from.

And lastly even if it does work, are settings going to have to be changed to get the ram to work optimally since the system will be designed with a (albeit minor) overclock but the new ram will be stock?

I plan to game hopefully at ultra settings on my 4K/60hz TV and would like to be able to tab back and forth to chrome with multiple tabs open without incurring much of a performance hit or forcing me to restart all the time like I currently do to achieve desired performance.

Thank you once again

Solution
You should never have to restart to clear ram, even on your current system. You have a software problem, not a ram problem, currently.

That said, it doesn’t hurt to get another 16gb.

Lutfij

Titan
You should be fine so long as you find the same spec's of the ram on Amazon. Since you'll be in an interim period without the new kit, it'd be a good idea to update the system with the latest BIOS. It'd also be a good idea to ask what the builder's policy is, in case you take off the side panel and it voids warranty...?

Jan 4, 2019
Hmm, but how about say having a youtube chrome tabbed while gaming at 4K?

Also currently (with my I5 system and much less than 4K res) after playing a game or after web browsing I have to restart the computer before engaging in the other activity just to get the memory cleared to a sufficient degree. Trying to avoid this if possible. Will 32gb help with that or am I just gonna end up restarting constantly even with infinite ram?

Jan 4, 2019
Interesting. My computers have always started to display this behavior this after a couple years. I must be opening too many tabs or something and slowly wrecking my unit. Thanks.