Adding up memory pc won't boot up

Status
Not open for further replies.

_orbital_

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2008
guys i have a problem!

i have ASUS PX58D Premium motherboard with i7 930 so i had before 3X2gb corsair mem
so i wanted to add exact same memory 3x2gb so i have 12GB all together memry like i said is exact the same. i didn't mix anything
so i removed new one and still won't start, cleared cmos by removing battery but still nothing

anybody???

thanks

Solution

Then IF ALL sticks = FAIL you have a bigger problem. Perhaps in pushing-in the DIMM slots something moved and became shorted.

You can try Lazyman's Breadboard -
* Disconnect ALL Front Panel & USB Headers ; keep only the PWR & Ground <best> short w/wire.
* Disconnect ALL peripherals including the Keyboard/Mouse
* (1) Stick of RAM in the second DIMM slot from CPU
* Unscrew both the MOBO and PCIe screws

Pull the MOBO away from anything conductive and supported by a towel ; short PWR & Ground to start.

_orbital_

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2008

i did with one stick at a time same crap ***
btw i also added new sound card even removing that didn't help

XMP ; Extreme Memory Profile (XMP) Intel's version of 'SPD' ; encoded data on the RAM's IC's for setting Frequency, CAS Timings, and DRAM Voltage.

Note: There are (2) different Dominator sets with CAS 8; TR3X6G1600C8D and CMP6GX3M3A1600C8 and they don't mix well...

DDR3-1600 8-8-8-24-2N @ 1.65v

DIMM Slots
CPU: | New | Old | New | Old | New | Old |

BIOS:
Ai Overclock Tuner -> Auto
DRAM Frequency -> DDR3-1600MHz
DRAM Timing Control -> /Manual
DRAM CAS# Latency -> 9 ; 8 after stable
DRAM RAS# to CAS# Delay -> 9 ; 8 after stable
DRAM RAS# PRE Time -> 9 ; 8 after stable
DRAM RAS# ACT Time -> 24
-
DRAM Timing Mode -> 2N
-
QPI/DRAM Core Voltage -> 1.25v
DRAM Bus Voltage -> 1.64v

Save & Exit

First use DDR3-1600 9-9-9-24-2N @ 1.65v (Stable) then DDR3-1600 8-8-8-24-2N @ 1.65v.

Then IF ALL sticks = FAIL you have a bigger problem. Perhaps in pushing-in the DIMM slots something moved and became shorted.

You can try Lazyman's Breadboard -
* Disconnect ALL Front Panel & USB Headers ; keep only the PWR & Ground <best> short w/wire.
* Disconnect ALL peripherals including the Keyboard/Mouse
* (1) Stick of RAM in the second DIMM slot from CPU
* Unscrew both the MOBO and PCIe screws

Pull the MOBO away from anything conductive and supported by a towel ; short PWR & Ground to start.

Solution

_orbital_

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2008

did it and same stuff..
my other thought is it might be PSU... not sure yet just a thought

Antec is crap -- I've had a couple ruin my GPU's when they took their dive, and ever since I'm very picky about PSU's.

Q - Besides an X58 and i7-930 -- what other components are running-off your PC? e.g. GPUs, number of HDD's, PCI/PCIe cards, etc.
Q - Is your PC on 7/24/365 or does it get turned-off or sleep. e.g. Bronze, Silver or Gold rated PSU.

_orbital_

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2008

P of *** PSU
5850 xfx card
creative pci titanium hd
3 640gb hard drives SATA i know i should of have ssd but it is what it is
no dvd drive yet but came today
now 12gb of ram at 1.6 volts
my pc is 7/24/365

In your case I'd either go with a Gold or Platinum Certified.

My picks:
1. 159.99 CORSAIR Professional Series Gold AX750 - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139016
2. 169.99 SeaSonic X750 Gold 750W - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151087

If you're in an area where your KW/Hr is > $0.12 then it'll pay you spend the extra money for the saving in electricity. Idle you'll probably pulling 225W~250W; the PSU's are sized for OC'ing both the CPU and GPU so they're over-sized, but the on always reduces the the capacity via 'electrolytic capacitor aging' so it's best to over size 30%~40%.

The PSU's I posted will last you until the system otherwise 'dies' or is EOL 5+ years.

So to recap - all you did was to add more RAM and in the process you had/have a boot failure aka nothing on the screen. Next, you tried a new PSU and now ditto.

IF the PSU indeed failed, like it did a couple of times with me in the past -- the PSU 'might have' pooched the system. BUT you had NO symptoms of PSU troubles aka oddball boot/shutdowns.

Which leaves me to the conclusions: A. Shorting from movement aka DIMM pressure, or B. Micro-Cracking of the MOBO.

I assume everything is properly seated i.e. GPU.

---------------

1. Reseat everything.
1. Try a different PCIe slot for the GPU.
2. Full Breadboarding ; removing the MOBO from the case entirely with minimal connections.

_orbital_

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2008

i did completely everything.. removed mobo and connected only video card [as my mobo has no on board video] with one at a time ram so i am assuming it is mobo failure..
i will have to buy new PSU cause one i have is old..
and new mobo..
damn it ;]]

The MOBO should be under warranty i.e. free, the ASUS P6X58D Premium carries a 3 year warranty -- and it's a good MOBO...

As far as the PSU IMO 7/24/365 get one I posted above; I understand why you ran out an purchased one -- I would have done the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.