Koesherbacon

Prominent
Sep 13, 2019
Hello, I have a question about adding USB3.1 & USB-C Functionality to my Gigabyte GA-A320M-S2H motherboard. I know this is possible using something like this PCIE USB3.1 Connecting Slot Component, which I actually own.
$_12.JPG

The problem I'm encountering is that I only have 1x PCIE slot that's the able to accommodate the above device. I think the device is a PCIE-x4, but I could be mistaken. My motherboard has 2x Pcie-x1 slots and 1x Pcie-x1 slot.

The PCIE-x16 Slot is connected to my Graphics Card, which is obviously quite important. Thus, due to the other PCIE Slots being too small, the Pcie-x4 USB3.1 + USB-C card has nowhere to go.

So, what I'd like to know is if there's an M.2 or SATA device that will allow me to hook up this USB3.1 + USB-C Device, and continue to function at full capacity, 10GB/Sec. For example, I know that USB3.0 to USB3.1 + USB-C Converters exist, but everything I've read indicates that they do not give the full speeds of USB3.1 + USB-C, and remain at 5GB /Sec. In other words, they allot one to connect a USB3.1 + USB-C device, but in the end it functions as though it was a USB3.0 device.

So, does anyone know of a device that will allow me to connect my USB3.1 + USB-C Device to the motherboard using M.2, SATA, a PCIE-x1 to PCIE-x4 converter or something else? I'm open to any and all suggestions!

Thanks so much. Hope you and your families are staying healthy during this awful pandemic.

〜 Ev

Solution
Hello, I have a question about adding USB3.1 & USB-C Functionality to my Gigabyte GA-A320M-S2H motherboard. I know this is possible using something like this PCIE USB3.1 Connecting Slot Component, which I actually own.
$_12.JPG

The problem I'm encountering is that I only have 1x PCIE slot that's the able to accommodate the above device. I think the device is a PCIE-x4, but I could be mistaken. My motherboard has 2x Pcie-x1 slots and 1x Pcie-x1 slot.

The PCIE-x16 Slot is connected to my Graphics Card, which is obviously quite important. Thus, due to the other PCIE Slots being too small, the Pcie-x4 USB3.1 + USB-C card has nowhere to go.

So, what I'd...

Lutfij

Titan
You're supposed to be good to go with either of the PCIe x1 slots, the card needs that alone. If you're concerned that the PCIe slot is of concern, you shouldn't since the controller is under the heatsink. Also, please be wary that the add-on card you've linked is only to bring modern functionality to an older platform, but that doesn't mean you're going to get all the speeds associated with the modern functionality on the older paltform.

$_12.JPG

So, what I'd like to know is if there's an M.2 or SATA device that will allow me to hook up this USB3.1 + USB-C Device, and continue to function at full capacity, 10GB/Sec. For example, I know that USB3.0 to USB3.1 + USB-C Converters exist, but everything I've read indicates that they do not give the full speeds of USB3.1 + USB-C, and remain at 5GB /Sec. In other words, they allot one to connect a USB3.1 + USB-C device, but in the end it functions as though it was a USB3.0 device.

So, does anyone know of a device that will allow me to connect my USB3.1 + USB-C Device to the motherboard using M.2, SATA, a PCIE-x1 to PCIE-x4 converter or something else? I'm open to any and all suggestions!

Thanks so much. Hope you and your families are staying healthy during this awful pandemic.

〜 Ev
This PCIE USB3.1 Connecting Slot Component looks like it needs a PCIe gen 3, X2 slot to work right. If you plug it in to a Gen 2, X1 slot, the most your motherboard offers, it looks like bandwidth will be compromised.

But PCIE is forwards and backwards compatible to the highest generation/bandwidth that both the motherboard and the device can handle. So, it's possible to cut out the end of the X1 slot on your motherboard, if the X2 adapter board is too long, and it SHOULD work at the lower bandwidth. That's probably not something you want to do, but it should be possible, as I don't think you'd get close to full USB-C full bandwidth. It's also only something I'd consider doing if going to toss the motherboard anyway for an upgrade should it not work as expected

And lastly: I'd be suspicious of this converter as it doesn't appear to have the necessary power circuitry for USB Ty C. Ty C devices can demand much greater power so absent that they'd not work. Or worse, damage your motherboard.

Last edited:
Solution