Adding WAN to LAN and increasing ports

Brian_133

Commendable
Jul 14, 2016
So, I've spent hours trying to figure out my new router setup. My modem (Technicolor TC7200) comes with built in wireless and has 4 LAN ports. My new router, TP Link 1900AC also wireless, 4 LAN and a WAN port. I know I could route a LAN to LAN, disable DHCP on the TP etc. What I'm aiming to do is:
- use the TP as my wireless network
- connect a homeserver directly to the technicolour modem using LAN but still see it when connected to TP wireless over WAN.
- set up the wireless on the TP WAN (from LAN on Technicolor) and also have TV/DVD connected to the TPs LAN ports, ensuring that everything can speak to each other. i.e. laptop on TP WAN can talk to media server on Technicolor Modem

basically, I'm looking to all have the LAN and wireless all on one network so all devices can communicate with each other.
I know it's easier to connect LAN to LAN, but are there bandwidth or other benefits to having WAN? and is it achievable?

Solution
You can attach the Technicolor LAN to the TP-Link WAN, which will create a different subnet that cannot communicate with anything on the Technicolor subnet.

There is really no bandwidth gain from this, you get the same benefit of a second radio setting up the TP-Link as an access point (LAN to LAN).

To make the TP-Link work with the WAN connection method, you need to set the WAN IP address of the TP-Link device to the Technicolor IP address so that requests for Internet pages are routed through the Technicolor and on out to your ISP.

RealBeast

Titan
You can attach the Technicolor LAN to the TP-Link WAN, which will create a different subnet that cannot communicate with anything on the Technicolor subnet.

There is really no bandwidth gain from this, you get the same benefit of a second radio setting up the TP-Link as an access point (LAN to LAN).

To make the TP-Link work with the WAN connection method, you need to set the WAN IP address of the TP-Link device to the Technicolor IP address so that requests for Internet pages are routed through the Technicolor and on out to your ISP.

Solution