[SOLVED] Adding wireless to a remote room when I already have a passthrough powerline for a wired connection

shorembo

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2010
I am working through issues with a remote office that I setup on the other side of my house from the router setup. I needed a wired connection and a friend gave me the tp-link AV2000 2-port Gigabit Passthrough Powerline. This worked great. So I have one device with that kit sending the signal through my circuit and in my remote room, the other device is providing the wired connections.

I am now wanting to add a better wireless connection. Since I am already sending the router connection with the device by my router, is there any recommendation for adding in a circuit wireless device? Is that even possible?

Solution
You can add a extra poweline unit and they make ones with wifi. If you have a old router you can use as a AP you can just buy a simple powerline unit and use the AP to provide the wifi.

In general powerline units work between brands. That was the purpose of the homeplug standard. People still report problems. Mostly you have to be careful there is another standard I think that is called g.hn that is completely incompatible but is not commonly used. You would also need to match say if you have av2-1000 units with similar units. AV2 is a homeplug standard so different brands "should" work. The older av500 units are also home plug and you could mix av2-xxxx stuff with av500 and it should work but I would just buy another...

Ralston18

Titan
As I understand your post you wish to add an Access Point to the remote office area and through that Access Point serve both wired and wireless devices - correct?

What you have now (line diagrams):

Router< --ethernet-->Powerline adapter #1 <== electrical circuit ==> Powerline adapter #2 <---ethernet -->PC

And what you require:

Router< --ethernet-->Powerline adapter #1 <== electrical circuit ==> Powerline adapter #2 <---ethernet --> Access Point with <--- ethernet ---> PC/Other wired devices plus ~~~ wireless ~~~> wireless devices.

Edit and correct the line diagrams as necessary.

Wireless will be slower than wired.

So a "better wireless connection" in the remote office is problematic. Overall end speed will only be as fast as the slowest link between router and the remote office wireless device being served.

shorembo

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2010
Thanks...
The room was little used before moving the home office and with the move, I found out the wireless connection is flaky probably due to distance. I need use of a wireless device due to some limitations by the hardware provided by my company around audio/video connections (hour long video meetings

What you have now (and is working great for my main hardware configuration):

Router< --ethernet-->Powerline adapter #1 <== electrical circuit ==> Powerline adapter #2 <---ethernet -->PC

And what I would like to add (if possible):

Router< --ethernet-->Powerline adapter #1 <== electrical circuit ==> WIRELESS power adapter (on a different electrical plug) < ~~~ wireless ~~~> wireless devices.

I think this is possible but I am not sure if the wireless power circuit adapter I add must be of the same brand or is there some sort of standard electrical circuit protocol that works across all of those types of devices?

You can add a extra poweline unit and they make ones with wifi. If you have a old router you can use as a AP you can just buy a simple powerline unit and use the AP to provide the wifi.

In general powerline units work between brands. That was the purpose of the homeplug standard. People still report problems. Mostly you have to be careful there is another standard I think that is called g.hn that is completely incompatible but is not commonly used. You would also need to match say if you have av2-1000 units with similar units. AV2 is a homeplug standard so different brands "should" work. The older av500 units are also home plug and you could mix av2-xxxx stuff with av500 and it should work but I would just buy another unit from the same manufacture.

Solution