Question Additional 4 pin EPS Connector is need for Overclocking (8+4) ?

cagataysahin44

Prominent
Jan 18, 2019
Hi, I upgrade my system from i7-4790k and ASUS ROG Maximus Formula VII to i5-10600k and ASUS Tuf x470 without changing my old psu which is "Corsair RM750" (the old version yellow one). My new motherboard has 8 + 4 CPU connection, however my old psu just have only 8 pin EPS Connector. That's why I just connect only 8 one.

There is no problem working in default (minimal) conditions but, when want to overclock my new cpu in the bios (just doing ASUS Ez Version and change from normal to performance (red) one, which I belive choosing this option open the RAM's XMP and CPU to 4.8-4.9 GHZ), my pc is working but just a few minute approximetly 10 min, than my pc's power goes down suddenly, there is no blue screen or any other error. Just goes down like when electricity goes down. I try overclock 4.5-4.6, but it looks same, only works well without overclocking and not open xmp.

According to my searchs additional 4 pin EPS is need when trying serious overclocking. I know try to 4.6 GHZ is not categorized serious overclocking but, I belive whole problem causes my cpu does not have enough power due to lack of addition 4 pin EPS. That's why I am going to buy new psu. However, I want to ask, all this cause due to lack of 4 pin EPS Connector? Am I buy new psu for solving this problem?

Sorry my English. I try my best :)
Thanks

Note: I have Noctua NHD14, ASUS RTX2060 OC , Corsair Dominator 2x8 3200 Mhz

Hi, I upgrade my system from i7-4790k and ASUS ROG Maximus Formula VII to i5-10600k and ASUS Tuf x470 without changing my old psu which is "Corsair RM750" (the old version yellow one). My new motherboard has 8 + 4 CPU connection, however my old psu just have only 8 pin EPS Connector. That's why I just connect only 8 one.

There is no problem working in default (minimal) conditions but, when want to overclock my new cpu in the bios (just doing ASUS Ez Version and change from normal to performance (red) one, which I belive choosing this option open the RAM's XMP and CPU to 4.8-4.9 GHZ), my pc is working but just a few minute approximetly 10 min, than my pc's power goes down suddenly, there is no blue screen or any other error. Just goes down like when electricity goes down. I try overclock 4.5-4.6, but it looks same, only works well without overclocking and not open xmp.

According to my searchs additional 4 pin EPS is need when trying serious overclocking. I know try to 4.6 GHZ is not categorized serious overclocking but, I belive whole problem causes my cpu does not have enough power due to lack of addition 4 pin EPS. That's why I am going to buy new psu. However, I want to ask, all this cause due to lack of 4 pin EPS Connector? Am I buy new psu for solving this problem?

Sorry my English. I try my best :)
Thanks

Note: I have Noctua NHD14, ASUS RTX2060 OC , Corsair Dominator 2x8 3200 Mhz
That's exactly what it's for.