[SOLVED] Additional 4pin connector near the 8 pin on asus board

Aug 28, 2022
Hey guys,recently ordered a psu but i saw on pcpartpicker that the motherboard i have (asus rog b550 e gaming) has an additional 4 pin near the regular 8 pin connector.
The psu i ordered doesnt have the additional 4 pin just the 8 pin and 24 pin.Should i get a new psu or is it fine with the 8pin only? What exactly is the 4pin for anyway?

Solution
Anything past 8-pins is generally if you want to overclock the heck out of the highest-end processors the board supports. It's not required to go past 8-pin.

Lutfij

Titan
show-5.png

The psu i ordered doesnt have the additional 4 pin just the 8 pin and 24 pin.
If the PSU you have doesn't have all the necessary connectors for your components, you either have the wrong components or you have the wrong PSU.

Make and model of the PSU you're working with? Also, what else will the PSU be powering apart from the board?

What exactly is the 4pin for anyway?
The connector in question is known as the EPS power input for the board, meant for supplemental power, meant for overclocking/additional power for demanding situations(high power draw CPU's). The same thing can be said for the 8pin connectors, it's an EPS power input as well.

Aug 28, 2022
show-5.png

The psu i ordered doesnt have the additional 4 pin just the 8 pin and 24 pin.
If the PSU you have doesn't have all the necessary connectors for your components, you either have the wrong components or you have the wrong PSU.

Make and model of the PSU you're working with? Also, what else will the PSU be powering apart from the board?

What exactly is the 4pin for anyway?
The connector in question is known as the EPS power input for the board, meant for supplemental power, meant for overclocking/additional power for demanding situations(overclocking). The same thing can be said for the 8pin connectors, it's an EPS power input as well.
Its an EVGA 700br 80+ bronze 700w,
Apparently the asus board has an additional 4 pin slot besides the 8 pin one for overclocking,but is that 4 pin necessary? Most boards i had only had an 8 pin and 24 pin.