Addng video card to laptop for HD movies

Randox1

Honorable
Aug 6, 2012
Hello,
I have attemped to set up a media system by ripping all of my dvds and blu rays to a hard drive (using aimersoft) and running them through a laptop with a hdmi cable to my tv. The quality is not as good as I expected, especially from the ripped blu rays - picture is fine but runs slower than audio and is out of sync straight away. If I was using a PC I would by a video card but I am using a laptop (lenovo with 6gb ram, windows 7 and 2.20 ghz intel core). Can Ido anything to boost video output -external graphis card or ometing?

raytseng

Honorable
May 15, 2012
you can play around with different media player software/codecs. Some maybe be more efficient then others.

Probably goes without saying, within a particular codec, you can adjust the post processing or other settings to see if that helps.

He's not SOL. You can get Expresscard PCI-express adapters, breakout boxes, etc. Not the most elegant solution but it's possible.

http://www.techradar.com/news/computing-components/graphics-cards/how-to-make-an-external-laptop-graphics-adaptor-915616

Other options, buy a cheap used PS3 or Xbox and convert your movies into a compatible format for them (The 360 is pretty verstile now and can play them from a network device via windows media player)

There is also USB->Video cards for laptops, although you want USB 3.0 for good HD bandwidth. Even here in this review, they used an expresscard->USB 3.0->External video box and were able to play full HD no prob.

http://www.everythingusb.com/targus-usb-3.0-dual-video-adapter-21477.html

There are solutions "outside the box".

raytseng

Honorable
May 15, 2012
or if you don't want to go for a game console,

There are plenty of "media center" boxes that will do the decoding. Some are just built-into standalone blurray players with network capability. some are sold just as network media players.

Price range, they are now relatively cheap for what they can do.