Addon Card for SATA 6GB's

ronb1955

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2016
Hello, I'm still using old Asus P6TD Deluxe with I7-950. I bought a Samsung 850 EVO 500gb SSD, I also run a Intel 540 SSD. I been out of touch for a while on all the newer pc stuff and feel lost.
I want to just add a controller card for the two SSD to take advantage of their speed. But totally lost on which one to get without spending a lot of money. I have some open pci slots on the board.
Any help pointing me to a decent controller would be great..thanks

If all you have open is pci slots, then that will be a problem since PCI slots are very limited with a peak transfer rate of 133 MB/s (133 megabytes per second).

Motherboard has:
Expansion Slots

3 x PCIe 2.0 x16 (at x16/x16/x1 or x16/x8/x8 mode)
1 x PCIe x4
2 x PCI

You would want to use a PCIe version 2.0 slot. PCIe 2.0 doubles the per-lane throughput to 5GT/s, which gives us 500MB/s of actual data transfer per lane.

StarTech 2 Port SATA 6 Gbps PCI Express SATA Controller Card
https://www.neweggbusiness.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9B-15-158-207&nm_mc=KNC

giantbucket

Dignified
BANNED
you want the short real answer? don't bother. just use onboard. an SSD is MOSTLY used to host an operating system, and MOST of an operating system's use is reads and writes of small files, which is the random 4k read/write performance of an SSD.... which is almost always less than even SATA-I (150MB/s) speed.

so, yeah, don't worry. just plug it in and the random 4k which is what 99% of an OS is anyways will still be going fast. about 100 times faster than a plain HDD for the same task.