[SOLVED] Adequate build for gaming CoD? Suggested / necessary upgrades?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

tommyarra

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2013
Hi all,

20190202-125009.jpg

I built a gaming PC last year, after lots of solid advice on here (thanks guys!)

I have attached a picture of my build components.

Stupidly , I haven't really used it.. and I have been playing CoD on my PS4. However, I'm thinking about switching to PC.

My questions :

• Is this build adequate for CoD Warzone?
  • Should I upgrade / add anything else?
  • What performance can I expect?
Any other advice? Really really do appreciate all help, as I am a total tech noob.

Thanks in advance,
Tom

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
Honestly, it's kind of overkill, and besides which, those CPUs tend to have some thermal concerns that you probably won't encounter with the 3700x. If you get the 3900x or 3950x, then you'd better plan for a top shelf, twin finstack, flagship cooler like the Noctua NH-D15, Cryorig R1 Ultimate, Deepcool Assassin III, Thermalright Silver arrow ibe extreme or some form of 280mm or higher AIO liquid cooling, or a custom loop. They get hot and don't maintain their boost profiles very well without top shelf cooling.

The 3700x is very capable, and a lot more forgiving. The 3700x is also going to give you a LOT more performance than you were going to get with the Ryzen 7 1700...
Seems to also be G-sync compatible, so if you decide to go with an Nvidia card in the future you shouldn't have problems getting G-sync to work with it.

Also seems to be a VA panel, using a similar panel as some others in this category that are fairly decent. Not the worst choice you could make. I don't see any professional reviews of that unit though, which always tends to make me hesitant unless it's a fairly new model, which that isn't.

Still, that alone doesn't exempt the model from consideration, it just means there are a few more question marks than what we normally like to see before spending that kind of money.

Do you have this monitor Matt?

A mate owns it, I had the opportunity to swap my LG Ultrawide for it at one point, was sorely tempted but didn't have the GPU power to drive it so would have been pointless.

Also I'm not a competitive gamer so 144htz honestly isn't that important to me.

I'm a graphics whore to be honest, I'd rather have every setting on ultra and play at a locked 60fps.

I think there are better monitors out there without a doubt but not for that kind of money.

This thread got me looking at monitors now.

I came across this which looks kind of interesting for the price.

https://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/ele...sync-hdr-monitor-eiq-27mq95fshdru/version.asp

I know electriq stuff, it's rebranded from other makes, I weirdly own a gas oven branded by them which is kind of bizarre.

Looks insane value, seen the tv's, they use LG panels so picture quality wise they're very very good.

Last edited:
Yes, the LG stuff is very hard to not like. That's why the monitor I recommended, and most LG monitors for that matter if they are not a bottom of the barrel type budget unit, which LG doesn't make many of, is an easy recommendation. I have three of them and it's the best monitor I've ever used to be honest. Anort3 turned me on to it originally because he has one and I'm glad he did because all three panels are much better than some of the reviews might suggest.

I'd like to see them offer more VA panels with low response time, high refresh rate and 1440p in 27" where they tend to mostly only offer IPS panels currently.

tommyarra

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2013
Hi lads -

I'm looking into my GPU upgrade now, in particular the 5700xt recommended earlier in the thread - I have a couple of questions that I'm struggling to find the answer to, if you don't mind assisting?!

1. What is the difference between the different types of RX 5700 xt? I.e evolution model, red, nitro, sapphire etc.? Which would you recommend?

2. Can my PSU cope with a GPU like this? 550w superflower platinum

And on a totally different subject - the Corsair fans I've reused in my build are very noisy.

3. Any recommendations for decent case fans with good air flow but are relatively quiet?! At least 140+ the cage is huge, not sure on the maximum fan size but the 140s look too small on the top of it really (the red LEDs highlight this)

Hi lads -

I'm looking into my GPU upgrade now, in particular the 5700xt recommended earlier in the thread - I have a couple of questions that I'm struggling to find the answer to, if you don't mind assisting?!

1. What is the difference between the different types of RX 5700 xt? I.e evolution model, red, nitro, sapphire etc.? Which would you recommend?

2. Can my PSU cope with a GPU like this? 550w superflower platinum

And on a totally different subject - the Corsair fans I've reused in my build are very noisy.

3. Any recommendations for decent case fans with good air flow but are relatively quiet?! At least 140+ the cage is huge, not sure on the maximum fan size but the 140s look too small on the top of it really (the red LEDs highlight this)

1. I own the Red Dragon (£370 on amazon)
I can't fault it, it's as near as dammit comparable to the sapphire pulse which is £30 more. You can pay more but I don't think its worth it personally.

5700xt vs 2070 & 2070 super

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IK_Ue4d9CpE&feature=youtu.be

Comparisons between the cheaper 5700xt cards (avoid the asus on any level), includes the red dragon and the pulse, watch the whole video, it is interesting and Steve at hardware unboxed is possibly the best and most competent hardware reviewer on YouTube.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NmExnu-j2s&feature=youtu.be

2. YES

3.ac f14 pwm if you want a good fan without fancy leds.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01J76IYL4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_ozQhFbPHHE0BP

Have always been my goto fans, unbeatable for the price imo.

tommyarra

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2013
Hi lads,

Just an update - I decided to take your advice (again) - as you lads know a hell of a lot more than me!

So I have ordered :

- monitor - https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/compu...8pRaLpp7uOY61HD7-KEaAn5bEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

GPU - https://www.overclockers.co.uk/sapp...ddr6-pci-express-graphics-card-gx-38x-sp.html

3 x case fans - https://www.overclockers.co.uk/be-quiet-shadow-wings-2-140mm-fan-fg-03s-bq.html

I've also ordered a little desk that sort of fits the decor of our room - https://www.ryman.co.uk/eliza-tinsl...Fn5BVE-2uwBvKgOu0vLI31hWpz6rR65MaAkeYEALw_wcB

I'm STILL waiting on my Rock 4 Pro CPU cooler ... The company are a nightmare - won't use them again.

Its been an expensive upgrade all in - including the case etc.. but I should be good for a while now 🤓

I'll let you know once they're fitted and what the performance difference is like. Thanks for all the advice.

Hi lads,

Just an update - I decided to take your advice (again) - as you lads know a hell of a lot more than me!

So I have ordered :

- monitor - https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/pc-monitors/pc-monitors/lg-ultragear-32gk650f-quad-hd-31-5-lcd-gaming-monitor-black-10195322-pdt.html?istCompanyId=bec25c7e-cbcd-460d-81d5-a25372d2e3d7&istFeedId=4d7eb93e-055f-499d-8ee5-1cdcc50d67d1&istItemId=ixiimptwp&istBid=tztx&srcid=198&cmpid=ppc~gg~0073+(PLA)+Gaming+Monitor+-+Generic~0073+(PLA)+Gaming+Monitors+ad+group~Exact&mctag=gg_goog_7904&kwid=GOOGLE&device=m&ds_kids=92700054125586173&tgtid=0073+(PLA)+Gaming+Monitor+-+Generic&=--present--&gclid=Cj0KCQjwvIT5BRCqARIsAAwwD-Tp6HRdJ5p0WhY5r9K2AmCakvIUQf-0aM4v8pRaLpp7uOY61HD7-KEaAn5bEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

GPU - https://www.overclockers.co.uk/sapphire-radeon-rx-5700-xt-pulse-8gb-gddr6-pci-express-graphics-card-gx-38x-sp.html

3 x case fans - https://www.overclockers.co.uk/be-quiet-shadow-wings-2-140mm-fan-fg-03s-bq.html

I've also ordered a little desk that sort of fits the decor of our room - https://www.ryman.co.uk/eliza-tinsley-aaron-workstation-1?&istCompanyId=724692e0-2f99-4874-9565-6fc82074fe86&istFeedId=62fcf5e7-7380-40af-a2f8-d6441f27c300&istItemId=irlwmptii&istBid=tzwt&gclid=Cj0KCQjwvIT5BRCqARIsAAwwD-QJ8nPaiqE8bqBwsdQI9_AFn5BVE-2uwBvKgOu0vLI31hWpz6rR65MaAkeYEALw_wcB

I'm STILL waiting on my Rock 4 Pro CPU cooler ... The company are a nightmare - won't use them again.

Its been an expensive upgrade all in - including the case etc.. but I should be good for a while now 🤓

I'll let you know once they're fitted and what the performance difference is like. Thanks for all the advice.
[

Loving that monitor mate, its an absolute beast and a great find for that price!

Perfect combo with the 5700xt, you'll be like a pig in muck ;-)

Last edited:
That's the exact monitor that I have, several of. It's a great unit. You are going to be very happy with it. The rest of the hardware too.

The only problem I see is the desk. It's too small for you to be able to place the monitor at a distance that is going to be optimal for viewing/gaming. Mine, for example, sit about 2.5-3 ft away from me. If you are able to do that, perhaps by putting it at one end of the desk while you sit at the other corner, it might be ok, or you might want to ADD a VESA mounting bracket to your list of purchases so that you can mount it to the wall at an appropriate distance from you, which would have the additional benefit of clearing off the surface of the desk so that you can use it for mouse, keyboard, or whatever else you might need. Coffee cup, etc. LOL. Just a thought so you don't find out at the least opportunistic time.

I think being any closer than 2.5ft will make it impossible to easily "view" the whole screen at once.

tommyarra

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2013
Yeah, another fair point.

Finding a desk was a nightmare. Something the Mrs agreed - looked ok, fitted in the correct space, but adequately big enough (hopefully). It will be a bit of trial and error. I could mount the monitor on the wall, but I don't want to ideally, we shall see ! No doubt the desk will be on eBay and I'll be ordering a bigger one in a couple of weeks 🤣

tommyarra

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2013
Hi all,

Just an update ... I'm all set up now and loving it. Really happy with the upgraded performance.

HOWEVER, I've started running into a problem -CoD has just randomly closed down mid game 3 times now.

I have ran monitoring software and my GPU and RAM are running flat out. CPU and RAM more like 50% . All temps seem absolutely fine.

Any ideas?

It COULD be a CoD server issue, but I think that's highly unlikely with it being 3 times now.

Hi all,

Just an update ... I'm all set up now and loving it. Really happy with the upgraded performance.

HOWEVER, I've started running into a problem -CoD has just randomly closed down mid game 3 times now.

I have ran monitoring software and my GPU and RAM are running flat out. CPU and RAM more like 50% . All temps seem absolutely fine.

Any ideas?

It COULD be a CoD server issue, but I think that's highly unlikely with it being 3 times now.

Had wattman (part of radeon settings) crashing on odd vulkan based games.

I suggest uninstalling the radeon drivers and software.
Then reinstalling just the driver alone.

You don't get Ann the fancy tuning settings etc this way but who actually uses it anyway?

Uninstall radeon settings from apps menu in Windows settings then to reinstall just the driver follow this video.

You only need the steps from around 4 minutes.

This solved issues with detroit and forza horizon 4 in my case, exactly the same, random closes back to desktop.

I think wattman overvolts for some reason on vulkan based games.

View: https://youtu.be/IhBLqTVxcBM

EDIT - before you do this, try switching the pc off and flicking the bios switch on the pulse to the silent bios setting, you lose 3% clocks peed which is minimal but it also seems to counteract any crashing while also running with less voltage and lower temps.

This way you may be able to keep all the radeon settings intact (you need them to enable freesync) which may be a better option for you.

Last edited:
Also, check to see what motherboard BIOS version is currently installed on your motherboard, then go to the product page for your motherboard and see what the MOST recent version is, and compare the two. If there is a newer version, it is a good idea to update the BIOS in most cases.

I would also make sure you have the latest chipset drivers installed from the AMD website. Which motherboard did you end up going with?

tommyarra

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2013
A fresh install of the GPU driver seems to have done the trick, touch wood!

Ive played 4 / 5 full games of Warzone now and it's ran delightfully... No stuttering or crashing. Thanks for the help guys.

tommyarra

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2013
Hi All

I thought i'd post a littel update. I finally bought my 2nd matching monitor and just mounted them on a VESA stand - tidied up my cabling a little - made up witht he results!

Thanks so much for all of the advice.

PS - ignore the decor in this room, its definitely over due an upgrade ! hahaha.

dsnMru.jpg

tommyarra

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2013
Yeah, happy with it.

On the hunt for a chair now - I've seen a lot about Secretlab and they do look really nice , clean and tidy. Are they worth the cash?

Or any other suggestions?

Yeah, happy with it.

On the hunt for a chair now - I've seen a lot about Secretlab and they do look really nice , clean and tidy. Are they worth the cash?

Or any other suggestions?

General concensus is they're very good but also priced at around 100% too expensive, as is anything with 'gaming' in the title.

Better with a good professional 'office' chair, that's one of the best there is.
I had one 5 years ago and was loathe to leave it when I split with the partner.

Cheers Matt

We have an IKEA not too far away from us - may pay a visit - that's the first time that the Mrs will have ever heard me say that!!

Yep not my favourite shop because its hard work with the layout being purposefully designed to make you cover the whole store but it has its uses.

I live virtually half a mile from one, I literally only buy light bulbs and batteries from there and would never visit at a weekend, its absolute madness then.

tommyarra

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2013
Hi guys,

I'm back 🤦🤣

Instead of clogging up the forum with a new thread, I thought I would bump this one.

I'll keep it short and sweet -

I'm looking to upgrade my system further over the next couple of months.

First on the hitlist, is a RAM upgrade to 32gb. Any recommendations?! What else should I be looking for aside from the obvious size?

Thanks in advance for your legendary advice !

Hi guys,

I'm back 🤦🤣

Instead of clogging up the forum with a new thread, I thought I would bump this one.

I'll keep it short and sweet -

I'm looking to upgrade my system further over the next couple of months.

First on the hitlist, is a RAM upgrade to 32gb. Any recommendations?! What else should I be looking for aside from the obvious size?

Thanks in advance for your legendary advice !

https://www.ebuyer.com/1133588-hype...t=97907&utm_campaign=PCPartPicker, LLC_206719

Thats the best price/performance ratio you'll find at the moment.

You can get both faster and lower latency ram but it's a tradeoff between price and performance then and it becomes worse and worse value the higher spec you go.

I'd argue 3600 cas 18 is fine (you can no doubt manually get it down to maybe 3600 cas 16 or 3200 cas 14).

I don't honestly think your board will run ram any faster than 3600mhz anyway.

Are you sure you really need 32gb ram?

Most of us are still trundling along with 16gb and not hitting any kind of limits whilst gaming.