Question Adequate power supply for i9 9900k and 2080ti?

caseybrunet

Honorable
Oct 25, 2013
Good Morning Gentlemen,

I build a new PC every 5 to 7 years, and when I do I go big (see build components below). This year's build is pretty power hungry and yes I will likely be overclocking it. As you can see a few of my components are already owned because I had made a few minor upgrades to my current PC (mostly storage) but have now determined that my PC isn't holding up to what modern games can dish out, especially smooth VR technology. PC part picker has a Wattage expectation of 500W, but I assume that does not include overclocking.

With that in mind I have an important question, is the listed 750W corsair power supply adequate to power this system?
Notes about the power supply:

1. I already own it
  2. I purchased it in approximately June of 2017
  3. I used it to power 3 (possibly 4, can't remember) GTX 1060 cards (underclocked to lower power consumption) for ethereum mining for about 8 months.
  4. has been sitting in my desk drawer ever since.

The last thing I want is to damage my system, but simultaneously I told my wife I was going to build a PC for ~$1,800 dollars but after research into what I wanted to accomplish with my build...that is clearly not happening so I have to break this news to her : ) so not having to purchase a new power supply would be swell.

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/GJJCsZ

CPU: Intel Core i9-9900K 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor ($484.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML360R RGB 66.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($139.99 @ Amazon)
Thermal Compound: Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut 1g 1 g Thermal Paste ($8.29 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 AORUS ULTRA ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($229.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory ($159.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive (Purchased For $0.00)
Storage: Western Digital Blue 4 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive (Purchased For $0.00)
Storage: Western Digital Blue 4 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive (Purchased For $0.00)
Video Card: Asus GeForce RTX 2080 Ti 11 GB ROG Strix Gaming OC Video Card ($1219.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Cooler Master MasterCase SL600M ATX Mid Tower Case ($149.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair RMx (2018) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (Purchased For $0.00)
Total: $2393.23
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-08-11 08:19 EDT-0400

Thank you for your input!

Should be fine also I'd get a different CLC if you want one as the Cooler master has had many reports of leaking or dying a few months after purchase also what do you need 32GB of RAM for? and the only reason to get anything faster than 3000MHz RAM is if you went with a Ryzen build.

caseybrunet

Honorable
Oct 25, 2013
Should be fine also I'd get a different CLC if you want one as the Cooler master has had many reports of leaking or dying a few months after purchase also what do you need 32GB of RAM for? and the only reason to get anything faster than 3000MHz RAM is if you went with a Ryzen build.

Oh shoot! I don't want leaking, have a recommendation? I know the i9 runs super hot so I want something beefy.

I selected 32 Gb of high speed memory because I was told it would be advantageous for both VR and video editing. Which is a side hobby (but gaming is my first hobby, hence the Intel over AMD selection). If this is not correct I will adjust.

This one is able to handle hot chips from what reviews say:
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/nGjJ7P/nzxt-kraken-x72-liquid-cpu-cooler-rl-krx72-01

As for RAM like regular gaming 16 RAM should be enough I am far from a VR enthusiast tho I personally am against it because I enjoy how I play games already I don't need more immersion but I understand some enjoy it and the only way your editing software will take up over 16 GB is if your editing huge projects in adobe as for Intel AMD argument it's getting a bit more opinion-based as AMD is starting to catch up.

Does it work

Reputable
Jun 3, 2017
While the intel chip has better single-core performance, it is beat by the 3900x pretty much everywhere else, and your side hobbies like VR and Video Editing due love its larger core and thread counts.

Last edited:

Does it work

Reputable
Jun 3, 2017
TBH you could get well below your budget and still have a monster machine if you go 3900x and a 5700 xt or 2070 super rather than 9900k and the needlessly powerful 2080ti and save up to $900. You could also change our your water cooler to a Noctua NH D-15, which is both cheaper and quieter than man water coolers, and able to cool just as well or better than many. Powersupply would also be quite happy on that as well no need to worry.

Yes, your 750w psu is entirely adequate.
http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page362.htm

Your case is a most interesting one.
In theory, the bottom to top airflow should be a plus, but with two 200mm intakes, I doubt that heated air will be the dominant cause for airflow.

I would have you look into using a Noctua NH-D15s.
It will cost less, be easier to install, be more reliable, quieter and will not leak.
The cooling performance is on a par with 280mm aio coolers and should be adequate for your purposes.
Think about it, the twin noctua radiators have about the same surface area as a 280mm aio cooler.
The NH-D15 is comparable, but the NH-D15s is a more compatible version with tall ram clearance and an offset to clear graphics cards mounted in the first pcie x16 slot.
The thermal paste that is included is excellent, no need for other paste.

On that subject, look into the vertical mount option for your graphics card.
The normal horizontal orientation might be more disruptive of the cooling air coming in the bottom of the case.

Here is a nice video comparing a NH-D15 and a Kraken x72.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEjm2fZyaeI

I don't know that the comparison points are all that valid, but on balance, the performance between the two is comparable.

Here is a review of the 9900K using the NH-D15s as a cooler.

Your configuration qualifies for use of the intel performance maximizer app.
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/intel-cpu-auto-overclock-performance-maximizer,6179.html
The app considers the quality of your chip, motherboard and other factors to get you a maximum performance setting.
5.0 on all cores is a reasonable expectation.