[SOLVED] Admin Problem

durkinjt

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2011
I just bought a used computer now on certain downloads and new programs, I get the error message: that I need administrator rights. Tried Google and got 3 outdated replies and nothing that
worked can I please get help as how to become Administrator?

Solution
it's not an error but rather a permission issue.

you will need to log in as an administrator which takes the admin password. if you do not know that, then you need to do a fresh install of windows.

it's a good idea anyway for a used pc since you have no clue what is on it or has been done ot it before it was in your hands.

do a total hard drive wipe and install a fresh copy on windows. its the safest thing to do and easiest way to make the pc yours and not rely on what someone else has done to it.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
it's not an error but rather a permission issue.

you will need to log in as an administrator which takes the admin password. if you do not know that, then you need to do a fresh install of windows.

it's a good idea anyway for a used pc since you have no clue what is on it or has been done ot it before it was in your hands.

do a total hard drive wipe and install a fresh copy on windows. its the safest thing to do and easiest way to make the pc yours and not rely on what someone else has done to it.

Solution

USAFRet

Titan
For any and all used systems, you personally need to do a full wipe and reinstall. Before you do anything else.
You have NO idea what the previous owner, or anyone who ever touched it, has in there.
Even if the seller says "Oh, I did that 5 minutes ago". You personally need to do it.

Full wipe and reinstall, all drives, all data, no matter what.

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
Any time I sell a used computer, I do a clean install to help protect my own information (along with other measures). I never create an alternate account and I don't put a password on. I always explicitly inform buyers that they should use the "reset my PC" or other method to reset it back to a completely stock and fresh install in which they can make decisions about. The ONLY reason I do so beyond the protection of my own data or where ever it came from, etc. as well as to eliminate bloat, but to show prospective buyers that it works and if Windows is activated, if such applies.
I am personally not a dishonest seller in that regard and I have not cultivated ways to check up on anyone I have sold to, but at the same time you or any of them would have to be a fool to believe me saying that if you didn't know me and probably even then as well.

Lushern1309

Reputable
Aug 22, 2019
I just bought a used computer now on certain downloads and new programs, I get the error message: that I need administrator rights. Tried Google and got 3 outdated replies and nothing that
worked can I please get help as how to become Administrator?
Hi, you could use <Mod Edit>

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi, you could use Hirens to crack the administrator password, there are also ways to do it through command prompt if reinstalling is not an option
Hirens (a WindowsPE boot CD) may be totally legit but going down the path of finding out how to crack the system's admin password will inevitably take you into some bad websites where you're very likely going to get more than you went looking for.

Reinstalling is ALWAYS an option; Microsoft makes it too easy not to.