[SOLVED] Administrator Account

stumap2

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2012
Hi,
I have a secondhand Toshiba Notebook with Windows 8.1.
My "User Account" says Local Account, Administrator but I do not seem to have Administrator privileges.
Example - when I try to stop Updates, it says I do not have Administrator privileges so am unable to stop them.
Is there a way of gaining Admin Privileges?
Thanks.
Cheers, Stumap2.
I should have added that it is password protected with a new password which I installed.

Last edited:
Solution
You have an Administrator account but above you, and with far more reaching priveleges, sits the System Administrator. You can kickstart it but it's dangerous because you may be opening up to attacks that's assisted by the System Admin.

Microsoft will probably withdraw updates and support for 8.1 soon, so it's best to step up to 10.

If you really want to call up the System Admionistrator, you need to dive into the black and stuff - white text on a black background.

Right click the Windows icon in the bottom left hand corner o f the Desktop, type Run then in the form that shows up, type cmd then hit the Enter key.

Now you're looking at that black form. At the prompt, type
Net User Administrator Active:Yes...
You have an Administrator account but above you, and with far more reaching priveleges, sits the System Administrator. You can kickstart it but it's dangerous because you may be opening up to attacks that's assisted by the System Admin.

Microsoft will probably withdraw updates and support for 8.1 soon, so it's best to step up to 10.

If you really want to call up the System Admionistrator, you need to dive into the black and stuff - white text on a black background.

Right click the Windows icon in the bottom left hand corner o f the Desktop, type Run then in the form that shows up, type cmd then hit the Enter key.

Net User Administrator Active:Yes

I'm on a Linux system at this moment so there may be slight differences but you'll find it all.

Solution

stumap2

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2012

Net User Administrator Active:Yes

I'm on a Linux system at this moment so there may be slight differences but you'll find it all.
Thank you for your reply and details, I will give that a try.
Cheers, Stumap2

That's up to you, but in my opinion I'd go ahead and update. At some point they will pull the plug on updates for 8.1. 10 has seemed to finally mature more as well. I think if you want the Windows 8 type experience that Windows 10 has what they call tablet mode as well.

xenthia

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2012
Hi,
I have a secondhand Toshiba Notebook with Windows 8.1.
My "User Account" says Local Account, Administrator but I do not seem to have Administrator privileges.
Example - when I try to stop Updates, it says I do not have Administrator privileges so am unable to stop them.
Is there a way of gaining Admin Privileges?
Thanks.
Cheers, Stumap2.
I should have added that it is password protected with a new password which I installed.
Hi it depends. If this is a laptop which is a part of another network, like in a company or something, you better not to do that or ask your network manager for help, because these sort of attempts can be considered illegal.
But if this is your system you can try one of these approaches:

1: boot the system using a live Linux disk. after than when you are in Linux or Ubuntu live, open the windows folder. by going to the directory that would be C:\Windows\system32.
Now in here you have to make a backup copy of "Magnify.exe" and rename it to something like Magnify.exe.bak and then remove "Magnify.exe" or you can simply rename "Magnify.exe" to "Magnify.exe.bak" so there should be no "Magnify.exe" in this folder. And then make a copy of another file named "cmd.exe" and then rename it to "Magnify.exe".

Now boot into windows but before windows boots up and wants to ask for your password, instead of actually entering your password to log into windows, use the "ease of access" options to launch the windows magnifier, but you'll notice that instead of the magnifier the command window will run, now be very careful as you are in the SYSTEM user environment. In here you can either create a new user with admin privileges for your self (your username), or change the policies of the system that are preventing you from doing what you like, or activate the super admin (original Administrator user) which is not something that is recommended at all.

After you have done your changes and have the users and the rights you need, you have to remove the fake "Magnify.exe" and rename the original "Magnify.exe.bak" back to "Magnify.exe".

I hope this helps.