elidumitru

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2010
I have a CD with bitmap art on it. When I altered one of the images and tried to save the changes, a window came up that said: "You do not have permission to save in this directory. See the administrator to obtain permission."
It is my computer, I'm the sole owner. Please tell me exactly how to get to the place on my computer where I can change the setting to allow me to save the changes on the CD.
Thanks

graywolf

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2010
You can't change anything on a CD, unless it's a CD-RW. The problem is that the error message doesn't really fit the situation. You can copy the image from the CD, change it in your graphics program and then save a bunch of them on a new CD or on your HD.

elidumitru

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2010

Actually, it is a CD-RW. The fact that it is referencing permission seems to indicate that it's not a technical impossibility, it's a matter of permission.
So I would still be interested in hearing from anyone who can tell me how to get the part of my computer where the permission it is referring to can be granted.

Thanks

Depending on what type of CD handling software you have running on your machine, you probably can't just save directly to a CD, even a writable one, from an ordinary program. Normally you need to use a special package such as Nero to burn selected files to CD or DVD media.

I'm guessing that when your image editing program attempts to open the file for writing it gets back an error from the OS and then just writes a generic message that assumes that if you can't write a file it must be a permissions issue.

elidumitru

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2010
Windows XP

Yes, it is "read only" and when I tried to change that it says "Access is denied", which sort of begs the same question of how to allow access.

I hear sminlal's comment, and, if that's the case then I guess I'm out of luck on that one.

Thanks

You can't "allow access" in the sense of turning off the "read only" file attribute because in the case of CDs and DVDs it's forced that way by the hardware. It's not a security issue or an administrator issue or an OS issue, it's a hardware issue.

Note that even writable CDs and DVDs can't be written to, even by programs designed to write to them, if they've been finalized. The best you can do is that if it's a "-RW" type disc then you can erase it and then start over again, treating it like a brand new, unwritten disc.

The only type of optical disc that you can write files directly to is DVD-RAM - it basically acts like a giant floppy drive.

elidumitru

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2010
I was written to by the administrator asking me to select the best answer. I actually received my best answer from another source.
I do appreciate the time and attention given to my question here, and I hope I can write back some time for other issues.
Thanks to all.