[SOLVED] Administrator privileges problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 31, 2019
I bought a PC CD Rom Game Dark Motives CSI and i am trying to get it to work but i can't seem too. I have installed it but each time i try to play it, it keeps saying login with administrator privileges. I have ticked the box that says run this program as an administrator but it still won't work, the box comes up that says Uninstall, Play, Register, Manual, Readme, Quit. I press play but absolutely nothing happens. I have even tried installing it as another user on the computer but this still won't get it to work. I have tried getting it to work of different operating systems, such as Windows 2000, Windows 98, but nothing is getting it to work. I have set it up to play as an administrator which is what it asked for but it does nothing when i tell it to play.

Dec 31, 2019
As this title dates from 2004 there's every possibility that it simply won't run on Windows 10, no matter what compatibility mode you use. This is especially true if there is any 16-bit code in it, as was in wide use back then.

My laptop is actually windows 7, so its quite old, it wouldn't update to windows 10. I'm assuming the game will never work on it, which is annoying as I have all the other CSI PC games and they work with no problems.

Dec 31, 2019
Are you running the game in XP compatibility mode?
When you say "tick the Box", do you mean right click? Also did you install the game with Administrator privileges? Have you logged as the Administrator? This requires a password setup.

It doesn't seem to matter what compatibility mode i ask it to play in, nothing works.
When i installed the game, it didn't ask me to set any administrator privileges up, that only came about when i tried to play it. On the back of the PC box it says the operating system is Windows 98 / ME / 2000/ XP. So i right clicked it and changed the compatibility mode to Windows 98/ME and made sure the administrator privilege box was ticked, but once again when i clicked play, nothing happened.
When i click onto my laptops system, it says its a - Hewlett-Packard HP Pavilion dv6 Notebook PC Windows 7 Home Premium with a 64 bit operating system. If that makes a difference.
I have played all my other CSI games on it and this has never happened before, they haven't even asked me to play it as an administrator, they just work straight away.

Dec 31, 2019
Rather than use the autorun program, use the executable program instead. CSI-DarkMotives.exe. Right click and use XP compatibility.

Just tried this but it isn't working either, it doesn't even bring up the play box when i try to open it via darkmotives.exe. I think i've just got to accept its never doing to work and chuck it away.

me 1

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2010
If i remember right, there was a patch for this game.
Search a bit and install it.

Also look for some configuration files in the game folder, some *.cfg and *.ini files, maybe you can change some options.

Status
Not open for further replies.