Question Administrator unable to run, plus corrupted Powershell?

abcgoodyabc

Honorable
May 31, 2014
Please help me.
Symptoms as follows:

Supposedly Windows Defender got corrupted in the July 9th update, this has caused me to be unable to run my apps like Steam, CCleaner etc(I assume) which are in my Program Files. Initially I thought it might have been issues with my UAC/permissions, however upon googling I discovered the problem of Windows Defender in the latest update.

What I have tried so far to fix unable to run said programs:

Booted into safe mode to run CMD as administrator and ran sfc /scannow, which prompted corrupt powershell.exe etc

Ran
  • DISM / Online / cleanup-image / CheckHealth
  • DISM / online / cleanup-image / scanHealth
  • DISM / online / cleanup-image / RestoreHealth
Upon which RestoreHealth told me that this could not be run in Safe Mode.
So the problem for me now is that in normal Windows 10 mode, I cannot run ANYTHING as administrator or anything with the UAC shield icon on as I get the message that says "This file does not have an app associated with it for performing this action. Please install an app or, if one is already installed, create an association in the Default Apps Settings page."
As for C:\Windows\system32\cmd.exe, I got an error message "Windows cannot access the specified device,path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item.
It is either of these two messages that showed. I have also tried system restore but it says an error, and did not allow me to reset my PC.
pVqI4Yn.jpg

To sum it up: I cannot run system repairs in normal Windows as I do not have adminstrator rights(even though I should have, and I don't even see the UAC prompt where your screen darkens). In Safe mode where I have the rights I am told I cannot run those repairs in Safe mode.

abcgoodyabc

Honorable
May 31, 2014
I may have stumbled upon the problem. Believe it or not, I might have solved this issue by going to properties in Local Drive C: -> Security -> Advanced -> and changed Owner: (from My Name Abcgoodyabc into Users (Owner-PC\Users)). Things are looking laggier than usual now, I will proceed to see if that is the cause of the problems - it being the permissions of the C drive preventing any changes from taking place.

Have you tried using windows powershell (administrator) to run commands?
I did , previously , it did not work because anything with administrator required does not work. It just goes into a prolonged load which comes up with an error prompt at the end. However thanks to your message I went into trying to fix the C drive properties and might have stumbled onto something.