Adobe Applications on separate SSD, how can I reinstall Windows 10 on a new M.2 without screwing up the registry for Adobe?

andrewcbaker

Commendable
Jan 10, 2017
Hi there!

I've recently built a new computer and swapped my SSDs and hard drives over. I also have a new M.2 that I'd like to install Windows 10 to.
M.2 - Local System = Drive C
SSD - Adobe Apps = Drive F
SSD - Old Windows = Drive E
SSD- Games = Drive G

The issue I am hoping to not face is having to reinstall all of my apps and games, as they are on separate hard drives. I've booted from the M.2 but none of my Adobe apps or games show up (in the Add or Remove programs page in the settings). Do I have to swap over my registry files to regain access to these applications?

Thanks!

1. If you CLONE Windows over to the M.2 SSD then everything will work the same. (unless the secondary drive letters change but you can fix that in Disk Management).

2. Steam games (and Origin, Uplay, Blizzard) can be moved. I'll just explain STEAM.

For STEAM all you need to do is ensure the "STEAMAPPS" folder is kept. Copy it somewhere. Later if you reinstall Steam to the Windows drive, you can create a new FOLDER (i.e. F:\Steam) and move Steamapps into that.

(to create the new folder go into Steam -> settings-> downloads-> steam library folders )

GAME SAVES are usually in your "Documents" folder directly or down in a sub-folder "Documents\My Games" so copy the contents of the entire Documents folder. Don't copy the entire thing back later necessarily; I'd copy save folders (and data for other applications) as needed.

If GAMES are on "G" drive but not part of Steam, Origin, UPlay or Blizzard then they likely need to be reinstalled. (for Origin I think I just reintalled it and then made a folder and "pointed" to it or something like that. I did have to VERIFY each game... whatever, you can Google for how.

3. Adobe:
If you do not clone you will need to reinstall it as all your registry links get broken during a clean Windows install. There may be a way, but I doubt it.

Other:
I'm a bit confused as you BOOTED from the M.2 but also said "you'd like to install" Windows 10 to it. I'm assuming you already DID install Windows 10 then and it was a CLEAN install?

Anyway, my advice stands. For example, install Steam, add folder... (in fact, if you already had a Steam folder on "G" then just create the exact same folder... it should recognize all the games though you'll have to move back the SAVE files into the appropriate Documents folder.)

andrewcbaker

Commendable
Jan 10, 2017

I have already installed Windows 10 on the M.2, and it was a clean install.

I was really hoping to not have to clone it, as I'd like to be able to start fresh with no crap on it. This seems to increase performance.

Also, the Steam and Origin installations are literally installed *on* the Games drive.