Adobe Flash 10.2b Makes Better Use of Your GPU

Status
Not open for further replies.

rbarone69

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2006
"Of course, we don't recommend anyone other than developers and the most adventurous of users to install this until it's out of beta."

Really? Are we talking of damage that cant be undone? I mean I'm not having my wife install it because she doesnt know how to uninstall the random BS apps she installs and I hate having to deal with her constant talking... And she really doesnt care about CPU usage or even know what a CPU is let alone how to see how much it uses. I give her shiny buttons and she clicks on them, end of story.

So anyone caring about CPU usage (I'd think most of tomshardware community) could manage uninstalling the app if it caused problems...

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
And here i was thinking flash 10.1 already did this!

I didn't actually notice much CPU usage anyway, but this should definitely help with any future HTPC's i build, just chuck in a cheap CPU and a 8400GS or something (Well i have one lying around anyway) and there you go, a system with Full HD playback for internet content!

robd007

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2006
lol yea i kinda already thought it did this too, but if they can make us think they did it without actually doin it yet they gotta be doin something right... :D

jrharbort

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2009
Great, but will it fix the random freezes and BSoDs that 10.1 gave me CONSTANTLY? I'm still using 10.0.45.2 since it's still the only stable release for me.

mister g

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
[citation][nom]keplenk[/nom]Does this include the Broadcom Crystal minipcie cards?[/citation]
Probably not, unless Broadcam releases an update for all products; which isn't likely to happen since only OEMs use the chips in laptops and they don't like to do anything for you after you bought the laptop. (Unless you bought their warrenty plans, then they try even less)

Bolbi

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2009
I found this Flash beta release back on Friday when manually checking for an update to the Adobe "Square" preview release I was already running. Glad to see Flash progressing with further hardware acceleration; I'm all for competition between Flash and HTML5!

gosefroba

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2007
Well just gave it a try. I was around 25 percent cpu usage before the update and after i was averaging 29 percent cpu while watching a 1080p video on youtube

[citation][nom]Bolbi[/nom]I found this Flash beta release back on Friday when manually checking for an update to the Adobe "Square" preview release I was already running. Glad to see Flash progressing with further hardware acceleration; I'm all for competition between Flash and HTML5![/citation]

Hardware accelleration is a nice feature for them to add but I don't think it will be able to compete with HTML5. Whatever is already in Flash makes it load slower. I don't know why but a 1080P HD video on youtube in Flash needs to be paused to download on a 25Mbps connection while HTML5 doesn't.

I just think Adobe doesn't see that they need to make Flash more of a lite program like it was back in the days of Macromedia and stop bloating it.

flamespaceship

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2010
Firefox 4.0b8 nightly builds and 4.0b7 released beta also have also had GPU acceleration on Windows for some time. Nightlies can be downloaded here: http://nightly.mozilla.org/.

pakardbell486dx2

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2008
wow, that would mean computer vendors will now to have to offer better video card solutions to their notebooks, seeing how integrated and low bit graphics just don't cut the cake.

G

Isn't the CPU more energy efficient? Why do you want the CPU completely idle while a power hungry GPU does all the work? Instead, shouldn’t they find a good balance of using both?

flamespaceship

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2010
[citation][nom]waitinggame[/nom]WTF not for 64-bit![/citation]
even integrated graphics makes a very large difference in speed over browser rendered HTML5 graphics. Try Minefield 4.0b8 or IE9/PP7 vs. Chrome or Opera in the MS Test Drive speed tests. Firefox/Minefield and IE9 leave the others in the dust. I think GPU acceleration will make a big difference for nearly everyone, even those with modest GPUs.

digiex

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2009
Oh please, the SPAMS above...

The problem with the flash beta is that Facebook cannot recognize it and treat it as older version, It ask you to download a newer version during photo uploading.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS