Adobe Photoshop w/ i3-6100

I'm sure it's possible, but will it be a complete frustration doing media creation work for college classes with this system? I already have everything but the CPU and needed a cheap solution. The student needs a replacement for their old 1st-gen dual-core i7 laptop which is going bad until they can afford a Macbook Pro (not my suggestion, but that's their desire).

i3-6100
16GB DDR4 2800
Z270
240GB HyperX Savage SSD
RX 580 4GB Nitro+
EVGA 750 B2
1920x1080

Good deals on better CPUs are difficult to find for some reason in 6th and 7th-gen. Found this i3-6100 on eBay for $89. I've told the student we can upgrade it if it doesn't do what she needs it to do. I already ordered the i3.

*Oh, and will the RX 580 be of any use in media creation with Adobe? I know Photoshop has an option to allow Graphics to help out. I'm not sure exactly what she's doing other than vector graphics at the moment, and I'm sure other things later. If not I'll just leave it out. But the RX is just sitting here taking up space at the moment.

Adobe Lists AMD 480 as tested and supported, so where is your information from?

Adobe products have cuda integration but also use opengl for acceleration. So amd cards are supported and just use opengl.

The I3 6100 is good enough for photoshop (I've worked on worse and it was fine).

You may well be OK.
Here is a report on photoshop performance using higher tier processors:
https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Photoshop-CC-2017-1-1-CPU-Performance-Core-i7-8700K-i5-8600K-i3-8350K-1057/
Apparently photoshop does not use many threads.
The single thread performance is more important.

The CUDA cores of the nvidia processors can be used to help performance.
It might be useful to swap out the RX580 for a less expensive nvidia card and use the savings on a faster processor.

RTFM. CUDA is not used since CS6:

"MGE (The Mercury Graphics Engine) is new to Photoshop CS6 and uses both the OpenGL and OpenCL frameworks. It does not use the proprietary CUDA framework from nVidia."

CUDA is not used since CS6. Photoshop has new MGE (The Mercury Graphics Engine) "and uses both the OpenGL and OpenCL frameworks. It does not use the proprietary CUDA framework from nVidia"

From what I'm gathering, it doesn't matter with CS6 if it's Nvidia or AMD. I'm also seeing that once you get to a GPU that's faster than a GT 610 it doesn't make that much difference. This is from a 2012 though. :/

*Edit: I just remembered i have a GTX 550 Ti someone gave me a while back. It looks to be supported with the latest version of Photoshop. I think that would be a better pairing right? Because I suspect the RX 580 would be a bit overkill right?

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/55464634
https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Adobe-Photoshop-CS6-GPU-Acceleration-161/
pic_disp.php

workflow, effects and file size/layers quantities changed a lot since 2012 so I believe a more powerful GPU is relevant, although still depends on what kind of work a man does. If anything you can try both GPU and see for yourself

I just read Adobe Illustrator can make use of a more powerful GPU. Since her degree is in Digital Innovation and she will be likely to use it along with other Adobe products in the future, I think the RX 580 will be a keeper. A CPU upgrade is always a possibility.

Thanks for your help.

TRENDING THREADS