Adobe Slams Apple for iPad's Lack of Flash

Status
Not open for further replies.

XD_dued

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2008
iFail. I have to agree with what others have said, there really seems to be no purpose for this device...just a giant ipod touch minus portability. I would rather get a netbook any day.

stryk55

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2009
One of the first of what will be an ever growing developers shut out by Apple, all in the name of product exclusivity...

Apple is heading towards the bridges with their torches lit...

rawoysters

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2009
[citation][nom]razorblaze42[/nom]Until Adobe can prove it can build secure software, can’t say I blame anyone for steering clear of them.[/citation]

Like Adobe or not it is difficult to live without Flash. Try it for a while without it and see how it goes.

gilbertfh

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2009
I believe this all has more to do with Apple wanting us to download apps to line thier pocketbooks both from the consumer and from the companies that make the apps and produce the content.

osxsier

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2009
Sure HTML5 may become a standard at some point, but flash will be around for a while and it currently dominates the web in regards to video, cant deny that.

B-Unit

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2006
Thats nice, but the iPhail isnt being released in a few years when HTML5 takes over, its being launched now, when 75% of the web is still using Flash.

razorblaze42

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2009
[citation][nom]rawoysters[/nom]Like Adobe or not it is difficult to live without Flash. Try it for a while without it and see how it goes.[/citation]
Let me get this straight, the large volume of cyber-attacks exploiting holes in adobe should be ignored, and I should just thank my lucky stars that I have flash at all from the a “Almighty” Adobe? I don’t think so. Get your house in order Adobe.

richpmd

Distinguished
May 13, 2009
What a bunch of whining little girls! Lets all meet back here in one year to see how consumers have voted on the iPad.

richpmd

Distinguished
May 13, 2009
What a bunch of whining little girls! Lets all meet back here in one year to see how consumers have voted on the iPad.

osxsier

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2009
Umm, news flash, Adobe is not the only one with holes...*cough* Micrsoft *cough* IE8...or did the Chinese just get lucky when they breached Google?

richpmd

Distinguished
May 13, 2009
Flash is essentially obsolete resource hogging tech. It will probably be supported in some way before long but with the advent of HTML5 its days are numbered.

tipoo

Distinguished
May 4, 2006
There is no reason why they CANT support it, since far less powerful smartphones already do. But it conflicts with their multimedia sales business. How many people would buy episodes of their favorite TV shows from iTunes when they can just stream it from one of the hundreds of available sites online for free? Or why pay for games from iTunes with all the Flash games out there? Apple wants to control everything you do with the device, and that is lame.

razorblaze42

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2009
[citation][nom]osxsier[/nom]Umm, news flash, Adobe is not the only one with holes...*cough* Micrsoft *cough* IE8...or did the Chinese just get lucky when they breached Google?[/citation]
Thats true good Sir, but Ipad doesn't have a Microsoft OS, or IE8, so this shouldn't be a problem. Alot of previous posts have commented flash is a dyng breed so no need to comment further. Ipad will be just fine without Adobe.

Kelavarus

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2009
Youtube HTML5 video quality also leaves something to be desired, as of yet. Don't get me wrong, Flash leaves many things to be desired too, but HTML5 just isn't a replacement yet.

matt87_50

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
[citation][nom]richpmd[/nom]Flash is essentially obsolete resource hogging tech. It will probably be supported in some way before long but with the advent of HTML5 its days are numbered.[/citation]

if HTML5 allows developers to freely create web apps, especially games, I would say apple's support for it would be lagging at best. it's all about control, for instance, they don't allow ANY app that has a scripting system in it.

[citation][nom]richpmd[/nom]What a bunch of whining little girls! Lets all meet back here in one year to see how consumers have voted on the iPad.[/citation]

consumers like Brittany Spears... I think I'll look elsewhere for advice on what makes something good... I don't work for apple, and I don't own apple shares, so whether the stupid sheep consumers flock to it or not makes absolutely no difference to me!

the fact of the matter is, for the average consumer, this device is the future, but - and I'll just check that I'm on the right site... yep, definitly not perez hilton - this site is not for average consumers.

people here are meant to bring to light the liberties and functionality you sacrifice in pursuit of Apple's 'innovation'

rawoysters

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2009
[citation][nom]gilbertfh[/nom]Oh by the way rawoysters companies are dropping flash. HTML5 will do away with the need for programs like Silverlight and Adobe Flash. One example of a company that is currently in the works of switching is Youtube. See the attached link.http://www.readwriteweb.com/archiv [...] _html5.php[/citation]
Yes, I'm aware of this and I detest Adobe as much as anyone with the lack of security in their products especially Flash, but as the article states 70% of games and 75% of video currently use Flash and the transition will take time.

geoffs

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2007
I detest that insecure, resource hogging piece of junk called Adobe Flash, I think we're all better off without it.

However, due to market presence, I think Apple should allow the hardware accelerated version of Flash on the iPhone OS devices, but preinstall FlashBlock or similar software to prevent flash from running automatically. That way you have the compatibility of Flash, don't have annoying flash ads popping up all over the place, and make it just inconvenient enough to give content providers incentive to move away from Flash.

nukem950

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2009
Don't worry adobe, apple is working on it. It only took apple 2 major revisions to get copy and paste functionality. So I am sure its planned for O.S. 6.0.
Oh well, I guess I have to buy TV shows for my Ipod touch instead if streaming them for free and legal online.

BUT MORE IMPORTANTLY, whats taking so long for 64bit support of flash. I have been waiting for years for it.

SAL-e

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2009
For many years Adobe flash was supporting only Windows. Even today flash is not working very well on Mac OS-X and Linux. Compare to flash on Windows the flash on other platforms is beta quality at best and still missing features. I think Adobe tried to build nice monopoly and failed. First is the Silverlight from MS, now HTML5 is coming and now Apple is trying to kill flash. Now Adobe has changed the tune and start opening their proprietary specs, but I thing it is a bit to late.
Other problem with flash are the annoying advertisements. I have no problem receiving ads as long they don't take too much of my time and screen space. Now I am using "NoScript" and flash is disabled by default. I only white-list media player. Web sites that are build all most entirely on flash get ignored. Flash is becoming a victim of aggressive marketing and maximizing a profits .... it become unwanted peace of software on my computers!

Status
Not open for further replies.