Adopt early, or wait?

So, just a little show of hands on this one. Plan on getting a
360 early on, or are you waiting to see how things pan out? Me, a
definite wait, maybe even a year. Got burned once on the Thompson
drive, and this hard drive confusion doesn't bode well.

--crymad

Jordan

For me it's the possibility of HD-DVD. If they announce something after
the holidays it will be the death knell for the system. The early
adopters will be stuck with hardware they can't re-sell because
everyone in their right mind will want an HD-DVD version.

- Jordan

Jordan wrote:
> For me it's the possibility of HD-DVD. If they announce something after
> the holidays it will be the death knell for the system. The early
> adopters will be stuck with hardware they can't re-sell because
> everyone in their right mind will want an HD-DVD version.

Can we put you in the "wait-and-see" column, then?

"crymad" <crymadSPAMBLOCK@xprt.net> wrote in message
> So, just a little show of hands on this one. Plan on getting a
> 360 early on, or are you waiting to see how things pan out? Me, a
> definite wait, maybe even a year. Got burned once on the Thompson
> drive, and this hard drive confusion doesn't bode well.
>
> --crymad

Chances are that I will skip this next generation of consoles entirely.
However, if I was interested in an Xbox 360 (or anything new from Sony or
Nintendo), I would definitely wait at *least* six months before making my
purchase. This way, as you say, any glaring problems should have been
identified and addressed, and also more games will be available.

Definitely wait and see for me...

With my gaming time getting less and less I am likely only to purchase one
console in this round. I will wait to see what the PS3 has to offer first
and then make a choice after that.

"crymad" <crymadSPAMBLOCK@xprt.net> wrote in message
> So, just a little show of hands on this one. Plan on getting a
> 360 early on, or are you waiting to see how things pan out? Me, a
> definite wait, maybe even a year. Got burned once on the Thompson
> drive, and this hard drive confusion doesn't bode well.
>
> --crymad

steven

im getting from day 1 and will be well pleased with it, im not paying in the
region of $500 for a PS3

"steven" <stevep@tscotsman.plus.com> wrote in message
> im getting from day 1 and will be well pleased with it, im not paying in
> the region of $500 for a PS3

We could all gather that this was your line of thinking just from the simple
fact that you can't talk about the 360 without bringing up the PS3 even
though this has nothing to do with the PS3 unless that is the reason you are
waiting.
> "crymad" <crymadSPAMBLOCK@xprt.net> wrote in message
>> So, just a little show of hands on this one. Plan on getting a
>> 360 early on, or are you waiting to see how things pan out? Me, a
>> definite wait, maybe even a year. Got burned once on the Thompson
>> drive, and this hard drive confusion doesn't bode well.
>>
>> --crymad

crymad <crymadSPAMBLOCK@xprt.net> wrote in

> So, just a little show of hands on this one. Plan on getting
> a 360 early on, or are you waiting to see how things pan out?
> Me, a definite wait, maybe even a year. Got burned once on
> the Thompson drive, and this hard drive confusion doesn't bode
> well.

I'm probably going to wait a little while then buy one like I did
with the original Xbox.

What I'm really interested in is the large selection of low priced
current gen games that'll be available. When people start trading
in their current gen game collections en masse toward the new
systems, I plan on stocking up on PS2, Xbox, and Gamecube games.

"crymad" <crymadSPAMBLOCK@xprt.net> wrote in message
> So, just a little show of hands on this one. Plan on getting a
> 360 early on, or are you waiting to see how things pan out? Me, a
> definite wait, maybe even a year. Got burned once on the Thompson
> drive, and this hard drive confusion doesn't bode well.

Definitely waiting and this is a 1st for me

crymad wrote:
> So, just a little show of hands on this one. Plan on getting a
> 360 early on, or are you waiting to see how things pan out? Me, a
> definite wait, maybe even a year. Got burned once on the Thompson
> drive, and this hard drive confusion doesn't bode well.

For me it's all about the games. If Xbox 360 has a game that's worth
$460 early on, I'll get one early. Now, a game better be F'ing SWEET to
be worth $460 so it's probably pretty unlikely. Of course, if I can
play most of my Xbox games on the new box, that's more incentive to
just go ahead and upgrade. So I guess put me in the wait and see
column, because I haven't read about any games that are "must-have" at
launch yet.

Knight37

knight37 wrote:
> crymad wrote:
> > So, just a little show of hands on this one. Plan on getting a
> > 360 early on, or are you waiting to see how things pan out? Me, a
> > definite wait, maybe even a year. Got burned once on the Thompson
> > drive, and this hard drive confusion doesn't bode well.
>
> For me it's all about the games. If Xbox 360 has a game that's worth
> $460 early on, I'll get one early. Now, a game better be F'ing SWEET to
> be worth $460 so it's probably pretty unlikely. Of course, if I can
> play most of my Xbox games on the new box, that's more incentive to
> just go ahead and upgrade. So I guess put me in the wait and see
> column, because I haven't read about any games that are "must-have" at
> launch yet.

Good point. In the end, regardless of the price, it is all about the
library so if PGR3, Perfect Dark Zero and Elder Scrolls IV turn out to
be simply amazing then I might not wait for the PS3-driven-price-drop.

Personally backwards compatiblity doesn't matter much to me because all
of my saves are on my old Xbox.

axess68

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2005

"crymad" <crymadSPAMBLOCK@xprt.net> wrote in message
> So, just a little show of hands on this one. Plan on getting a
> 360 early on, or are you waiting to see how things pan out? Me, a
> definite wait, maybe even a year. Got burned once on the Thompson
> drive, and this hard drive confusion doesn't bode well.
>
> --crymad

Will wait until some 360's start showing up "pre-played" (or a hard drive
mod comes around which allows me to bypass J Mallard and his overpriced 2.5"
HDD's)

As for Oblivion, Condemned, and Quake IV, I can play them on my decently
fast PC with no charge for Multiplayer on Quake or (if it has it) Condemned.
Plus, I'll get the extra bonus of being able to download user-made modules
for Oblivion. They did amazing stuff with the ones for Morrowind. Especially
the Giants mod!

crymad <crymadSPAMBLOCK@xprt.net> wrote:
> So, just a little show of hands on this one. Plan on getting a
> 360 early on, or are you waiting to see how things pan out? Me, a
> definite wait, maybe even a year. Got burned once on the Thompson
> drive, and this hard drive confusion doesn't bode well.

Will wait at least a year.

Microsoft has thrown too much confusion into the market with talk about
HD-DVD, not to mention their inane 2 SKU approach which I think will bite
them harder than the controller conumdrum from the Xbox...

Until I start seeing some enticing titles, I don't even have a reason to
consider a 360...

jlc

"Doug Jacobs" <djacobs@shell.rawbw.com> wrote in message
> crymad <crymadSPAMBLOCK@xprt.net> wrote:
>> So, just a little show of hands on this one. Plan on getting a
>> 360 early on, or are you waiting to see how things pan out? Me, a
>> definite wait, maybe even a year. Got burned once on the Thompson
>> drive, and this hard drive confusion doesn't bode well.
>
> Will wait at least a year.
>
> Microsoft has thrown too much confusion into the market with talk about
> HD-DVD, not to mention their inane 2 SKU approach which I think will bite
> them harder than the controller conumdrum from the Xbox...
>
> Until I start seeing some enticing titles, I don't even have a reason to
> consider a 360...

I waited for over 3 years for my first Xbox. I was really thinking I was
going to get the 360 soon after launch. But now I feel the same as stated
above. Plus I'm getting a real bad taste in my mouth over how MS is handing
the whole launch. Seems to me that they are really in denial over what's
going to happen once Sony releases their console. If I was MS I'd really
make sure that everything was priced fairly and I sure as hell wouldn't have
two different 360 systems at launch. It's just going to confuse the hell out
of people and when people get confused they don't buy. I think that a lot of
people now are going to wait and see what Sony is going to do when it comes
to pricing. JLC

I was going to get it early. But with the announcement that the hard
drive would be optional and not standard, I am definitely going to
wait. I want to make sure that developers are actually going to support
the hard drive (the way they did on the original Xbox) or not.

After all, I'm not paying good money to take a step *backwards*.

-Eric

axess68

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2005

<elrous0@pop.uky.edu> wrote in message
>I was going to get it early. But with the announcement that the hard
> drive would be optional and not standard, I am definitely going to
> wait. I want to make sure that developers are actually going to support
> the hard drive (the way they did on the original Xbox) or not.
>
> After all, I'm not paying good money to take a step *backwards*.
>
> -Eric

Exactly! Good strategy! I'm not really concerned about backwards
compatibility myself. I wont sell my original Xbox. It's modded
anyway. Even if it wasn't, I would still hold onto it. I have 5 consoles
hooked up to my TV (Xbox, PS2, GC, Saturn, Dreamcast) and
space for 2 more. I don't sell my consoles anymore.

Yep, I'll get mine on day one. premium package with at least two games. I
dont get why anyone would wait a year, yet are on usenet talking about the
console.

driddy <andre595@bellsouth.net> wrote:
> Yep, I'll get mine on day one. premium package with at least two games. I
> dont get why anyone would wait a year, yet are on usenet talking about the
> console.

Not everyone has a spare $500 to throw around, for one thing.

For another, Microsoft's talk about "possible" HD-DVD plans makes me very
wary of buying something that may be made obsolete with no possible method
of upgrade a few months later.

Finally, as has been proven again and again, it's rarely wise to buy V1.0
of ANYTHING as there are inevitable problems and bugs that get worked out
with by the first revision.