[SOLVED] Adrenalin Software for AMD overheating GPU? (LONG)

Raikko Kiminen

Reputable
Sep 11, 2019
Hello everyone. I have a very big problem regarding AMD's Adrenalin and I was hoping that someone can explain to me why it happens. I have an RX 590 from ASRock. The graphics card was released in November 2018. I am using Adrenaline (Radeon Software) version 19.12.1. This is the LAST stable version that works normally. It is flawed but at least playable...now hear me out why.

The Adrenaline 19.12.1 is stable, no game crashing, no screen artifacts, no problems regarding performance, but the only thing that is (MASSIVELY) flawed is ReLive software. Basically, it never saves audio correctly. Either it is corrupted (out of sync and whatnot) or it is cut out completely at some point (e.g. sometimes the 15 seconds long video only has audio for the first 5 seconds and the rest is complete silence, or worse than that when it is 60 seconds but I only get first 20 seconds of audio.) No video I've ever recorded (or saved an instant replay) was clean and flawless. I swear, it is broken. However, the actual gaming is smooth, temps are normal, fans are quiet etc. and for the experiment I played The Witcher 3 game. Using the 19.12.1 Adrenalin my GPU temperature peaked at 71C, FPS was varying anywhere from 60 to 90, overall very positive result.

Recently I got a new SSD and installed a fresh Win10. With it I decided to get the newest Adrenaline driver 20.7.2 just to see if anything has improved. ReLive was finally fixed, no video was ever missing audio, but...everything else went to $H1T!!! Launching The Witcher 3 gave me a burning 87C on the GPU and a PEAK OF 15FPS. Normally, fans were going wild, the noise was crazy high. To say it was unplayable is an understatement. I contacted AMD support and they only told me to switch back to 20.4.1 after which the game returned to 60-90FPS but the temperature was still at 87C. I tried underclocking and undervolting from 1560MHz and 1050mV to only 1300MHz and 880mV but the difference was nonexistent, the temperature still peaks at 87C, only the FPS was dropped considerably. After another email, the thing they told me was "return to your old 2019. driver" but as I uninstalled the current Adrenaline 20.4.1 the Windows crashed and was unable to boot again leaving me in anger having to wait a few more days for a PC center to install a new Win10 (also had to carry the PC to them and from them and it is freaking heavy!)

After another fresh Win10 I got 19.12.1 again and things were normal again -no 15FPS horsecrap, no flaming 87C, no loud fans, finally clean gaming. With it came back the problem with ReLive but screw that. I never wish to "upgrade" (yes, with " " marks because the experience I had was MOST DEFINITELY NOT AN UPGRADE) the Adrenalin again, just want to play the game and have fun. However, I recently got Horizon Zero Dawn for PC and when I launched it I got a prompt message that the game demands I install the newest driver 20.7.2 in order for the game to launch. My reaction? WHAT THE ACTUAL FLYING DUCK??? Instantly uninstalled the game. I am lucky that I first downloaded the pirated version to check if my PC can run the game at all (in short: RX 590, R5 2600X, 2X8 3200, B450) before buying it or I would have wasted my money for a game that demands my GPU to be toast at 87C and to die very soon after...

I don't understand why do OLD graphics cards need NEW drivers which are intended to fix problems that NEW graphics cards have. The release notes always mention "fixed problem for 5000 series" so why do I NEED to get a driver that is intended to fix graphics card I DON'T HAVE in order to play a game?

Thank you for reading this, I hope you understand the problem and can maybe assist me in solving it.

Solution
That's very strange, because, until a few months ago, my son was using a PowerColor RX 580 8GB, and I would always stick with the latest WHQL driver's from AMD's site, and I never had any issues - and never needed to use older drivers to get things to work correctly.

I am given to understand that, when AsRock first started creating video cards, the RX 570 and RX 580 were their first ones if I am recalling correctly, that their coolers left something to be desired. They ran a little hot and the fans tended to be louder and needed to run faster.

I am not sure if they improved their coolers for the RX 590, but the RX 590 is definitely more of a power hog, at 225W.

It's still really baffling that only changing the drivers gives you...

Pedro sachez

Great
Jan 22, 2020
Hello everyone. I have a very big problem regarding AMD's Adrenalin and I was hoping that someone can explain to me why it happens. I have an RX 590 from ASRock. The graphics card was released in November 2018. I am using Adrenaline (Radeon Software) version 19.12.1. This is the LAST stable version that works normally. It is flawed but at least playable...now hear me out why.

The Adrenaline 19.12.1 is stable, no game crashing, no screen artifacts, no problems regarding performance, but the only thing that is (MASSIVELY) flawed is ReLive software. Basically, it never saves audio correctly. Either it is corrupted (out of sync and whatnot) or it is cut out completely at some point (e.g. sometimes the 15 seconds long video only has audio for the first 5 seconds and the rest is complete silence, or worse than that when it is 60 seconds but I only get first 20 seconds of audio.) No video I've ever recorded (or saved an instant replay) was clean and flawless. I swear, it is broken. However, the actual gaming is smooth, temps are normal, fans are quiet etc. and for the experiment I played The Witcher 3 game. Using the 19.12.1 Adrenalin my GPU temperature peaked at 71C, FPS was varying anywhere from 60 to 90, overall very positive result.

Recently I got a new SSD and installed a fresh Win10. With it I decided to get the newest Adrenaline driver 20.7.2 just to see if anything has improved. ReLive was finally fixed, no video was ever missing audio, but...everything else went to $H1T!!! Launching The Witcher 3 gave me a burning 87C on the GPU and a PEAK OF 15FPS. Normally, fans were going wild, the noise was crazy high. To say it was unplayable is an understatement. I contacted AMD support and they only told me to switch back to 20.4.1 after which the game returned to 60-90FPS but the temperature was still at 87C. I tried underclocking and undervolting from 1560MHz and 1050mV to only 1300MHz and 880mV but the difference was nonexistent, the temperature still peaks at 87C, only the FPS was dropped considerably. After another email, the thing they told me was "return to your old 2019. driver" but as I uninstalled the current Adrenaline 20.4.1 the Windows crashed and was unable to boot again leaving me in anger having to wait a few more days for a PC center to install a new Win10 (also had to carry the PC to them and from them and it is freaking heavy!)

After another fresh Win10 I got 19.12.1 again and things were normal again -no 15FPS horsecrap, no flaming 87C, no loud fans, finally clean gaming. With it came back the problem with ReLive but screw that. I never wish to "upgrade" (yes, with " " marks because the experience I had was MOST DEFINITELY NOT AN UPGRADE) the Adrenalin again, just want to play the game and have fun. However, I recently got Horizon Zero Dawn for PC and when I launched it I got a prompt message that the game demands I install the newest driver 20.7.2 in order for the game to launch. My reaction? WHAT THE ACTUAL FLYING DUCK??? Instantly uninstalled the game. I am lucky that I first downloaded the pirated version to check if my PC can run the game at all (in short: RX 590, R5 2600X, 2X8 3200, B450) before buying it or I would have wasted my money for a game that demands my GPU to be toast at 87C and to die very soon after...

I don't understand why do OLD graphics cards need NEW drivers which are intended to fix problems that NEW graphics cards have. The release notes always mention "fixed problem for 5000 series" so why do I NEED to get a driver that is intended to fix graphics card I DON'T HAVE in order to play a game?

Thank you for reading this, I hope you understand the problem and can maybe assist me in solving it.
yea ive had similar isues with my rx 550 amd gpu's are good but their drivers are dogsh!t to say the least

Pedro sachez

Great
Jan 22, 2020

my isues went away in a week

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
That's very strange, because, until a few months ago, my son was using a PowerColor RX 580 8GB, and I would always stick with the latest WHQL driver's from AMD's site, and I never had any issues - and never needed to use older drivers to get things to work correctly.

I am given to understand that, when AsRock first started creating video cards, the RX 570 and RX 580 were their first ones if I am recalling correctly, that their coolers left something to be desired. They ran a little hot and the fans tended to be louder and needed to run faster.

I am not sure if they improved their coolers for the RX 590, but the RX 590 is definitely more of a power hog, at 225W.

It's still really baffling that only changing the drivers gives you issues, though.

BUT... I'm at AMD's site, and I don't see 20.7.2. I see a 20.8.2 Optional driver from 8/17/2020, and a 20.4.2 WHQL driver from 5/26/2020.

I would strongly recommend trying the following:
  • if you don't still have it, download the installer for the 19.2.1 drivers
  • download the 20.4.2 drivers
  • download the latest DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller)
  • reboot to safe mode, and use DDU to completely uninstall the existing drivers
  • reboot and immediately install the 20.4.2 drivers
  • reboot, even if the system doesn't ask you to do so

Try it out and see how it works. Worst case, if it misbehaves, do the following:
  • reboot to safe mode, and use DDU to completely uninstall the existing drivers
  • reboot and immediately install the 19.2.1 drivers
  • reboot, even if the system doesn't ask you to do so

I know this is a kind of Hail Mary shot, but maybe it'll work.

Solution