Discussion "Advanced Marketing Devices", what even is this?

Exploding PSU

Honorable
Jul 17, 2018
First of all, I'm not here to stir drama, stoke flames, etc. If the mods consider this post breaking any rules or just in general distaste of the forums, I'm fine with it getting removed. I just want to bring up something I happen to come across. And as usual, I'm not sure where to post this, I thought I could post it on some kind of "tips" or something for the news, but I can't find it.

Was looking for some reviews and benchmark numbers for the Threadripper 1950X for a friend, and found this peculiar entry on userbenchmark :

Screenshot-3682.png

I'm fully aware of past altercations between UB and the general tech community, and I understand the notion of "userbenchmark is not reliable", but this is just next level. The incomprehensible part is this "CPU" actually appears on their ranking along with other valid entries, which means an admin or an official did put the go ahead for this entry.

Again, I'm sorry if this is a well known stuff and I'm just late to the party (I have a habit of being late to everything). Call me naive or anything, but this is just new and surprising to me. Once more if anyone find this post.... not contributing anything to the good of the forum, feel absolutely free to lock / move / outright remove this. I just find this stuff quite shocking to say the least..

Just wanted to bring this up, slow day and all

D

Deleted member 14196

It looks like a butt hurt Intel owner. Why are you even wasting your time on that site?

Colif

Win 11 Master
they are so bad the Intel subreddit banned them from being mentioned.
When the company you fanboy for rejects you, you gone too far.

This is no suprise, they hate AMD beating Intel anytime and make their reviews always make AMD look bad.]
Old but an example

tbh I would block site as its a waste of time, its results always bend in one direction.

Literally within minutes of this unrealistic, pre-release, result appearing on userbenchmark, AMD’s marketing machinery declared a 20% victory over the 12900K whilst simultaneously slandering userbenchmark via hundreds of “news” outlets and thousands of supposedly disinterested twitter, reddit, forum and youtube accounts.
If its unrealistic, why is it on your site. Don't you have any control?
I love how they don't mention CPU at all in the entire "review" but spend it attacking everyone else.

They a good parody site, shame people take them seriously.

Last edited:
First of all, I'm not here to stir drama, stoke flames, etc. If the mods consider this post breaking any rules or just in general distaste of the forums, I'm fine with it getting removed. I just want to bring up something I happen to come across. And as usual, I'm not sure where to post this, I thought I could post it on some kind of "tips" or something for the news, but I can't find it.

Was looking for some reviews and benchmark numbers for the Threadripper 1950X for a friend, and found this peculiar entry on userbenchmark :

Screenshot-3682.png

I'm fully aware of past altercations between UB and the general tech community, and I understand the notion of "userbenchmark is not reliable", but this is just next level. The incomprehensible part is this "CPU" actually appears on their ranking along with other valid entries, which means an admin or an official did put the go ahead for this entry.

Again, I'm sorry if this is a well known stuff and I'm just late to the party (I have a habit of being late to everything). Call me naive or anything, but this is just new and surprising to me. Once more if anyone find this post.... not contributing anything to the good of the forum, feel absolutely free to lock / move / outright remove this. I just find this stuff quite shocking to say the least..

Just wanted to bring this up, slow day and all
UBM is just a tool it's not the only tool.
It's quick and easy to run.
It provides some info about the pc.

As for their opinion about AMD and Intel I don't pay much attention to it.

Reactions: kurdtnz
The most advanced marketing device I can think of is having the best product on offer since it sells itself.

To me, either UBM screwed up an attempt at snide criticism... or they're conceding the point.

Last edited:

Exploding PSU

Honorable
Jul 17, 2018
It looks like a butt hurt Intel owner. Why are you even wasting your time on that site?

I was searching for "Threadripper 1950X benchmarks" and that site was among the top search results. I pretty much opened all the links so I could read them for later. Color me surprised when I found that entry.

they are so bad the Intel subreddit banned them from being mentioned.
When the company you fanboy for rejects you, you gone too far.

This is no suprise, they hate AMD beating Intel anytime and make their reviews always make AMD look bad.]
Old but an example

[VIDEO]

tbh I would block site as its a waste of time, its results always bend in one direction.

If its unrealistic, why is it on your site. Don't you have any control?
I love how they don't mention CPU at all in the entire "review" but spend it attacking everyone else.

I remember channels like GamersNexus and Hardware Unboxed bashing them also, but I always thought it's just genuine mistake or something, never really followed them since then. I even remember they released a paper explaining their "changes" on single-core / multi-core shenanigans which puts i3 chips above everything else. This smells bitter to me.

The most advanced marketing device I can think of is having the best product on offer since it sells itself.

To me, either UBM screwed up an attempt at snide criticism... or they're conceding the point.

To be fair I also checked their GPU pages to see if they also brought their AMD mockery over to the GPU side, and to my surprise, they did. Checked their page for the 6800XT I use (not the most top shelf GPU but still capable these days I believe), and the description looked like the reviewer had split personality disorder. The reviewer praised the GPU for offering massive performance jump, great performance for half the price of a 2080 Ti and the ample VRAM, then bashes AMD with their false marketing and dishonest social media tactics, and the "no if you're a gamer you don't need this much framerate" card, which is a brave blanket of a statement to say the least.

The stampede continues on other AMD products on several generations, including the 5700XT (mentions AMD only care about the bonuses of their CEO, which has nothing to do with performance) and the Vega 56 (which they explained is a product usable only by deaf users due to them being loud, I agree on Vega being hot and loud but... really?). I've checked other products by Intel and NVidia and the description for them are more... balanced...

I don't know if their site is being hacked, or if the site owner has a personal hate against AMD. I used their tools and site pre-Ryzen, and both used to work well. I never knew UB has turned satire all these days.

Their point gets much clearer if you look at the comparison,
the ryzen has a much higher single thread...if you only run a single core...but a 16core system is only used to run many cores at once, who is crazy enough to get a 16 core CPU for single threaded workloads?
The higher the number of cores being used the lower the results for the ryzen compared to the intel system and half way through the 16 cores, at an 8 core load, they already lose.

Well this IS marketing.
AMD tries to convince people that their CPU is running at single threaded score speed while trying to obscure the multicore clocks.
All the AMD press was build around the high clock speed but here we see that these clocks will drop very abruptly under load.
zBJSGCU.jpg

IMO, UBM's half-sane vitriol is nothing better than "fake news". If you accept the idea that the "fake news" propagating across social media is harmful to society then it's all of our problem.
I pay as much attention to UBM's opinion as I do to the opinion of these wack jobs on the tube and the internet.

Large numbers of people in the US are suffering from serious brain pollution.