Advantage of USB 2.0

I have read that theoretically the USB 2.0 has a transfer rate advantage
of 40 times
that of USB 1.0. Does anyone have any experience with this in regards
to loading
pictures from a digital camera into a USB 2.0 port of a computer? Is
the transfer
significantly faster? I am interested in the Olympus Ultra Zoom
Cameras, but they
only support USB 1.0, and so I hesitate to buy now but wait until they
upgrade
these cameras to USB 2.0 capabilities.
Also, I am concerned about the proprietary Lithium batteries in the
newer model
Ultra Zooms. Do they deliver enough power, as compared to the earlier
models
that used AA cells?

Sherwin D.

Mike

Splendid

"sherwindu" <sherwindu@comcast.net> wrote in message news:41BBEAFB.980F1463@comcast.net...
> I have read that theoretically the USB 2.0 has a transfer rate advantage
> of 40 times
> that of USB 1.0. Does anyone have any experience with this in regards
> to loading
> pictures from a digital camera into a USB 2.0 port of a computer? Is
> the transfer
> significantly faster? I am interested in the Olympus Ultra Zoom
> Cameras, but they
> only support USB 1.0, and so I hesitate to buy now but wait until they
> upgrade
> these cameras to USB 2.0 capabilities.
> Also, I am concerned about the proprietary Lithium batteries in the
> newer model
> Ultra Zooms. Do they deliver enough power, as compared to the earlier
> models
> that used AA cells?

USB capability of the camera shouldn't be a deciding factor.
For around $20 you can pick up a USB 2.0 card reader,
and use that to transfer image data to your computer.

As for the lithium batteries, they're superior in almost every
respect to regular AA's.

Thanks for both replies. I agree that batteries and USB are secondary items
in deciding on a camera purchase.
However, I was focusing in on the Olympus series Ultra Zoom cameras, trying
to decide to pick up an older
style 750 with AA's or the newer 765's or 770's with the lithium batteries.
Keeping spare lithium's can be
expensive, and you can always find AA's, if you are out somewhere on
vacation.

All that said, I like the fact that the lithium batteries keep the camera
size down significantly, so that you can slip
those models into your pocket. On the USB issue, the card reader gives me
more options, but I was thinking
that next year, Olympus might come out with a new model Ultra Zoom with USB
2.0, so if I am not
in a hurry, that will be worth waiting for. Also, if the market goes more
heavily to
5 megapixel models, the price of the current 4 megapixel cameras should come
down.

Sherwin D.

sherwindu wrote:

> I have read that theoretically the USB 2.0 has a transfer rate advantage
> of 40 times
> that of USB 1.0. Does anyone have any experience with this in regards
> to loading
> pictures from a digital camera into a USB 2.0 port of a computer? Is
> the transfer
> significantly faster? I am interested in the Olympus Ultra Zoom
> Cameras, but they
> only support USB 1.0, and so I hesitate to buy now but wait until they
> upgrade
> these cameras to USB 2.0 capabilities.
> Also, I am concerned about the proprietary Lithium batteries in the
> newer model
> Ultra Zooms. Do they deliver enough power, as compared to the earlier
> models
> that used AA cells?
>
> Sherwin D.

RoJ

That I know of, no camera coming out with USB 1 has been upgraded afterwards
to USB 2.
Don't hold your breath waiting, unless you mean a new Olympus model
altogether?
RoJ

On the USB issue, the card reader gives me more options, but I was
thinking that next year,
Olympus might come out with a new model Ultra Zoom with USB 2.0, so if I am
not in a hurry,
that will be worth waiting for.

TRENDING THREADS