Question Advertised Incorrect RAM speed?

May 3, 2021
The RAM I bought, corsair vengeance LPX 3000MHz C16, is advertised to be 3000MHz. Task manager says other wise (2667MHz) and CPU-Z also says otherwise (1330.1MHz for 1 DRAM)
I checked in bios and the max standard frequency you can set it is 2666 or 2667 I can't remember, and XMP is enabled to boost it to 3000MHz. Did i get scammed since i never see the full 3000MHz or anything close? Motherboard caps out at 2933MHz (still nothing close to this).

The RAM I bought, corsair vengeance LPX 3000MHz C16, is advertised to be 3000MHz. Task manager says other wise (2667MHz) and CPU-Z also says otherwise (1330.1MHz for 1 DRAM)
I checked in bios and the max standard frequency you can set it is 2666 or 2667 I can't remember, and XMP is enabled to boost it to 3000MHz. Did i get scammed since i never see the full 3000MHz or anything close? Motherboard caps out at 2933MHz (still nothing close to this).

NO you did not get scammed. You just need to understand what OC RAM does and does not do and what you have to do in Bios.
If an XMP profile is assigned to your RAM it will be JDEC compliant and other profiles for easy Overclocking may not work. There is no guarantee the rated frequency of your RAM will be achieved as it depends on the strength of the IMC (Integrated Memory Controller) on your chip. In my experience Intel chips do scale well so IMO a kit at 3000MHz or indeed 3200MHz should work for your chip. Just need to tweak your Bios.

OC RAM is not plug and play and frequencies above the JDEC standard will need to be manually applied in Bios.These are the SPD(Serial Presence Detect) Timings and voltage. Your SPD can be got from CPUz.

Your RAM being DDR reflected in CPUz shows 1330MHz so double this and you are at 2666MHz.
DDR stands for double data rate. So your DDR (double data rate) ram transfers data on both the rising and falling edges of the clock signal.

Last edited:
Ram faster than 2666 must be overclocked.
Unfortunately, the B460 chipset does not support ram overclocking.
(The B560 chipset does.)
No matter, intel does not depend on ram speed for performance.
You will not notice any impact.
A benchmark will likely show negligible real app performance impact.
Here is an older study:

May 3, 2021
(The B560 chipset does.)
Here is an older study:
So i could still potentially get a free motherbaord since they sold advertising 3000MHz but the board doesn't even support 2933MHz on an 10th gen i5 (has to be 10th gen i7 or i9), but if i have an i5 (which i do), it only supports it up to 2666MHz. They sold a whole prebuilt pc btw just for clarification, with the advertised 3000MHz RAM

Last edited:
May 3, 2021
NO you did not get scammed. You just need to understand what OC RAM does and does not do and what you have to do in Bios.
If an XMP profile is assigned to your RAM it will be JDEC compliant and other profiles for easy Overclocking may not work. There is no guarantee the rated frequency of your RAM will be achieved as it depends on the strength of the IMC (Integrated Memory Controller) on your chip. In my experience Intel chips do scale well so IMO a kit at 3000MHz or indeed 3200MHz should work for your chip. Just need to tweak your Bios.

OC RAM is not plug and play and frequencies above the JDEC standard will need to be manually applied in Bios.These are the SPD(Serial Presence Detect) Timings and voltage. Your SPD can be got from CPUz.

Your RAM being DDR reflected in CPUz shows 1330MHz so double this and you are at 2666MHz.
DDR stands for double data rate. So your DDR (double data rate) ram transfers data on both the rising and falling edges of the clock signal.
(The B560 chipset does.)
Here is an older study:
so just for clarity, it can't run at 3000MHz with this chipset even is XMP is enabled correct?. Also for max bandwidth in CPUID it says DDR4-2132 (1066MHz), is this normal for a 3000MHz RAM?. And if it can, how can i be sure its running at 3000MHz? also, does all RAM over 2666MHz have/need XMP enabled to run? Also, since the motherboard only supports up to 2666MHz for i5 core or below, surely it can't run faster than that? Thank You

Last edited:
May 3, 2021
so just for clarity, it can't run at 3000MHz with this chipset correct?. Also for max bandwidth in CPUID it says DDR4-2132 (1066MHz)
(The B560 chipset does.)
Here is an older study:
it can't run at 3000MHz with this chipset even is XMP is enabled correct?

May 3, 2021
Will Memory that is listed as 2666MHz on task manager reach the advertised 3000MHz speed (also says 3000MHz RAM) using XMP if motherboard only supports up to 2666MHz for said CPU and ram combination. motherboard manufacturer page says that my ram will only reach 2666MHz with an i5 or below, but can it reach the 3000MHz with the help of XMP?

May 3, 2021
Make and model of your motherboard and processor, please? If the chipset's and/or the processor's limit is 2666MHz, then no, no matter how many times you enable or force X.M.P on, it will not work.
the company who built the pc are saying that it should be able to run at 3000MHz