ADVERTORIAL: ATI Radeon HD 4650/70: Top Value for Bottom Dollar

Status
Not open for further replies.

mlcloud

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
At least give us the links to some of the 4650/70 benchmarks... Other than that, great read, great recommendations, looking to upgrade my pentium 4, 1.4ghz 256mb (ddr). Was looking at using the HD4200 on the 785g series from AMD, but if I can make a true gaming computer out of it ... hm... tempting.

G

I'm waiting for a HIS HD4670 1GB to arrive soon. It even has HDMI output.

Got it really cheap from newegg. It'll do fine with my Intel E5200. Nothing like a super gaming machine, but hope to play TF2 and L4D with good gfx. That's all i play atm.

duckmanx88

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2008
[citation][nom]mlcloud[/nom] Was looking at using the HD4200 on the 785g series from AMD, but if I can make a true gaming computer out of it ... hm... tempting.[/citation]

on their gaming charts the 4670 is listed. plays FEAR 2 pretty well. i assume it can than handle all Source games as well but at lower resolutions, medium settings, no AA, the usual.

G

Assuming I'm assembling a new system and the HD 4650/4670 is the most cost-effective graphics card... what then is the most cost-effective processor to pair with it?

G

Good thing to see ATI marketing their 4650/4670.

I was hoping to see more of their mid-range cards.

WINTERLORD

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2008
great article these are some nice cards for the price, i wonder though if you got 2 of them and tried to put them in a crossfire config. since they dont require a power source, other then the pci-e slot, would 2 of them cause any problems drawing all that current through the motherboard? kinda wondering if there would be any impact there.

G

Ati making great job. In my office there was need to meka PC with 6 individual monitors. Solution - mainboard asus p5q-e + 3 ati 3650 video cards with vga+DVI outputs. Great working very cheep in cost. Tried to meke the same with nvidia 8400gt - no result 4 monitors individual maximum. Ati - rulezzz

lien

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2009
+

Installed an Sapphire 4650 AGP on a backup system in August.
Overclocked it & almost pissed myself on how good the image quality was on that system.
Article confirms....

value based articles are refreshing

I absolutely agree. The Ferrari / Focus analogy is particularly apt. If I didn't already have a 4850 in my primary system, another 4670 like the one in my secondary would have been fine (I don't play Crysis).
As far as running two of them on mobo power, some mobos have an auxiliary molex power connector on them to help with this.

WINTERLORD

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2008
anyone see the charts for the 4650? i went to the link (http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/graphics-cards,1.html and looked everywhere, like 3 times over and even used the find on page , feautre in internet explorer and could not find it anywhere.

ryanegeiger

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2009
"Advertorial"... this is a result of the new legistlation requiring all 'bloggers' to disclose whether or not they're paid for their articles.

Stardude82

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2006
[citation][nom]falkner[/nom]Assuming I'm assembling a new system and the HD 4650/4670 is the most cost-effective graphics card... what then is the most cost-effective processor to pair with it?[/citation]
I guess it depends what you want to use it for really. For watching high-def video, it doesn't matter much since all the processing is done on the GPU. The new dual-core Celerons/Athlons are great for this. For gaming, Toms has a pretty good monthly "Best Gaming CPU for the Money." Though again, it won't matter much since the GPU will be the bottle neck, though the ~$80 E6300 and Athlon II x2 250 are both phenomenal overclockers.

cangelini

Contributing Editor
Editor
Jul 4, 2008
[citation][nom]ryanegeiger[/nom]"Advertorial"... this is a result of the new legistlation requiring all 'bloggers' to disclose whether or not they're paid for their articles.[/citation]

No, this is a result of an editorial department that cares about its readers by drawing a clear line between editorial and advertorial content, and still trying to make the advertorial educational/worth reading.

Gintok

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2009
This approach also works with Hybrid CrossFireX, which teams a compatible discrete Radeon card (including the 4650 or 4670) with a compatible IGP.

I'm confused, I thought Hybrid CrossFireX only supported 3 desktop card, the ATI 2400, 3450 and 3470 NOT the 4650 or 4670. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Honis

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
They need to mark Advert even if they weren't directly paid. Any gift, like letting Tom's keep the video cards, counts in this legislation. Tom's could write an article absolutely crushing a product but still be required to mark it as advert because they get to keep the company's product.

dkArchon

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2009
Same question as Gintok - I thought Hybrid CrossFireX only supported 3 desktop card, the ATI 2400, 3450 and 3470 NOT the 4650 or 4670. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Whether it contains advertising or not, this article was still useful. Seems to me that the only people with any real [un]reason to be upset are those who think unless you spent $600 on your graphics card(s) your system is beneath them.

deadlockedworld

Distinguished
Lets all sit back and appreciate the irony of this:

I was planning to buy a 4870, but after reading this.. eh, why not save some money and get a cheaper one for now? Thanks for encouraging me to keep my money ATI! Maybe ill stay a $50 card customer from now on-- and you will get a drastically smaller profit margin.

eyemaster

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
I can't believe that the MSI Cyclone OC 4890 has gone up in price in the past 2 months instead of going down! I want to buy a 2nd one to have xfire... :(

Status
Not open for further replies.