[SOLVED] Advice about airflow, new fan?

ovelionnn

Commendable
Dec 3, 2020
Hi! So im just curious if my airflow is good, coz i think my case isn't that well build for good airflow.
Its looking something like this:

View: https://imgur.com/a/Vr2bDMZ

Case: Aerocool rift
So this case has in the front where my cold air comes this big like grids (tried to draw it, but you probably know the case and know what I mean) and bc its on the side i think i get only a small amount of cold air to my case.

But overall I think my CPU has good temp, mainboard too. But Graphic card gets a bit hot so I thought maybe if I make my airflow better and add maybe one more fan.

So my question are, is my airflow overall good? And where should I add one more fan to make it even better? (espescially for gpu)

On the drawing i marked with blue circle places where I can place my fan.

I thought about placing it under the gpu but, under it there are hard drives, case etc. and it doesn't get the cold air into the case

Solution
To make clear, what I have meant is: 1 fan in back and 2 fans in front -that should be enough.
Don't worry about too much air pressure -PC case has enough holes (is not sealed).
Basic rule for fans speed is: keep fans speed as low as possible (to keep them silent), however make sure CPU/GPU are still cooled properly. To achieve that, you set "fan curve" in BIOS according to your needs.
For example:
-for CPU temp up to 40°C, fans should be set to 30% speed,
-for CPU temp up to 60°C, fans speed should increase to 60% speed
-for CPU temp up to 80°C, fans speed should increase to 100% speed.
All above numbers are just examples. Your settings will vary depending on you CPU, CPU cooler, fans max speed and diameter, etc.

Yes, one can get low...
How many fans are installed currently? Guessing - 2. Right?
Front supports up to 3x 120mm fans. If you need additional cooling, then this is where to place additional fans.

If you go with 3 fans at front, then you can also put additional fan at rear/top position (to balance out air pressure).

Fans at bottom would really serve no purpose.

Being curious, I watched a review on Yotube... It seems front panel has a cutout on bottom, so (together with side mesh opening) there should be enough air coming in. So, I would put two fans in front -and that would help cooling GPU as well.

ovelionnn

Commendable
Dec 3, 2020
2 Fans are installed already (2x black rectangles)

Yes but right now I want to add only one fan. + true I can install 3 fans at front, but one of them will almost serve no purpose (the one at the top) because there is almost 0 hole where air can come from.

But If I add one more fan at front, wouldnt it make maybe too much air pressure that comes in thant it comes out = there will be places where heat builds up?

Which fan would you recommend? Coz i don't want to spend much and I see 2 good fans from arctic but have different wings, and I dont know which one is better for bringing the air in.
Arctic F12 PWM CO or Arctic P12 PWM?

Last edited:
To make clear, what I have meant is: 1 fan in back and 2 fans in front -that should be enough.
Don't worry about too much air pressure -PC case has enough holes (is not sealed).
Basic rule for fans speed is: keep fans speed as low as possible (to keep them silent), however make sure CPU/GPU are still cooled properly. To achieve that, you set "fan curve" in BIOS according to your needs.
For example:
-for CPU temp up to 40°C, fans should be set to 30% speed,
-for CPU temp up to 60°C, fans speed should increase to 60% speed
-for CPU temp up to 80°C, fans speed should increase to 100% speed.
All above numbers are just examples. Your settings will vary depending on you CPU, CPU cooler, fans max speed and diameter, etc.

Yes, one can get low enough temps by keeping relative low fan speeds (that's what we wish for). But as mentioned above, depends on many factors.

I keep both front fans at same speed. In general, because you have two of them, you can spin front fans a bit slower than (single) rear fan. But that again depends from case to case: do all fans have same size? Do all fans have same max rpm? etc.
Anyway, after you change cooling, it's good idea to watch CPU temperatures for a week or two, and change fans speeds as needed. When you get to the point where temperatures are normal and PC is silent, you're done with settings.

Solution

ovelionnn

Commendable
Dec 3, 2020
Ok, thanks. Im just more worried about GPU than CPU coz its seems like I have pretty good CPU Cooler + the hot air flows directly outwards.

What would you recommend from the following fans? Because they have different wings, idc which one is better
Arctic F12 PWM CO or Arctic P12 PWM?

Do not fix a problem that you do not have.
What is your cpu and cooler?
What is the graphics card?

Monitor with HWmonitor.
Run a simple stress test with CPU-Z.
If your temperatures are 80c , your cooling is fine.
Similarly, graphics cards do run hot, but they are designed to do so.
A temperature of 80c. is normal.

At what rpm are your front intakes spinning?
1200 rpm might be normal and be reasonably quiet.
For more airflow, you can add a third fan.
Do not bother with more exit fans. The rear exhaust fan job is to direct the airflow past the cpu cooler.
Adding a top exhaust will tend to divert the airstream out the top and not past the cooler.
Whatever airflow that comes in the front will exit SOMEWHERE, taking component heat with it.

If you want/need even more cooling, replace the front fans with higher rpm versions.
This will be at the expense of added noise.
Once you get past 1500 rpm, you will notice them.

Reactions: BogdanH