[SOLVED] Advice about tightening timings of Hynix CJR/DJR

just_lurking_ryzen

Prominent
Sep 25, 2019
Hi all,

I recently got a 2x16GB kit of G.skill Ripjaws 3600Mhz cl-16-19-19-39 (F4-3600C16D-32GVKC). According to thaiphoon burner, the kit uses Hynix CJR and the model number indicates that it is Revision C of the module. I wanna know if I can trust the thaiphoon burner results because I've heard of the same module using Hynix DJR, which overclocks significantly better.

Also, what do I need to know about tightening timings on CJR/DJR?

Solution
It's not that version 1.7.3 timings are necessarily wrong. They're just not as tight. He must have run into some kits that couldn't handle the tighter timings and backed off in the later releases. I have a zen+ (2600x) cpu. I run into IF instabilities with anything above 3400Mhz. V1.7.0 suggests "Fast" cas 14 timings for 3400Mhz, v1.7.3 suggests cas 15 timings. I did tweak the voltages a bit though. I was able to back down to 1.4v dram voltage instead of the suggested 1.44v in 1.7.0 , but I had to increase the Soc voltage to 1.07 to stabilize the IF.
Hi all,

I recently got a 2x16GB kit of G.skill Ripjaws 3600Mhz cl-16-19-19-39 (F4-3600C16D-32GVKC). According to thaiphoon burner, the kit uses Hynix CJR and the model number indicates that it is Revision C of the module. I wanna know if I can trust the thaiphoon burner results because I've heard of the same module using Hynix DJR, which overclocks significantly better.

Also, what do I need to know about tightening timings on CJR/DJR?
Yes, trust it, it just reads what's in the controller. doesn't make up things.

Reactions: just_lurking_ryzen
You need to know the basics of how ram timing works, The primary timings (the CL), secondary timings (subtimings), and teritary timings. You might need to spend some time to find a good timing for your ram, if you cant get a lower Primary timing, try by lowering the secondary timing. Im on a DDR3 system and did lower both my secondary and primary timing and it almost reach the theoritical performance :D

you should try to look onto Bullzoid's channel and try to find a video about him on overclocking ram.

My ddr3 timings:
7d4gb3alr7471.png

logvx3alr7471.png

gd1cu8alr7471.png

xuish4alr7471.png

bfollett

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2005
I have the 16gb (8x2) version of that same kit. An earlier version of Thaiphoon burner identified it as Hynix DJR the current release identifies it as CJR. After lots of experimenting with timings I'm pretty sure the current versions identification of CJR is the correct one. As to an earlier post to just trust Thaiphoon burner.... Don't there are plenty of posts on the web that it just does an educated guess in some instances and gets it wrong. If you use DRam Calculator to suggest timings. The author of that program backed down on his suggested timings for Hynix cjr/djr in the current version of the program. If you want to try more aggressive timings try to hunt down version 1.7.0 instead of 1.7.3. That's where I got the fastest stable timings for my kit.

just_lurking_ryzen

Prominent
Sep 25, 2019
I have the 16gb (8x2) version of that same kit. An earlier version of Thaiphoon burner identified it as Hynix DJR the current release identifies it as CJR. After lots of experimenting with timings I'm pretty sure the current versions identification of CJR is the correct one. As to an earlier post to just trust Thaiphoon burner.... Don't there are plenty of posts on the web that it just does an educated guess in some instances and gets it wrong. If you use DRam Calculator to suggest timings. The author of that program backed down on his suggested timings for Hynix cjr/djr in the current version of the program. If you want to try more aggressive timings try to hunt down version 1.7.0 instead of 1.7.3. That's where I got the fastest stable timings for my kit.
Thanks for the info, I had my reservations about the trustworthiness of the Thaiphoon burner results because I got Hynix MFR using an older version and I got Hynix CJR using the latest version, as you did. Would you have any idea as to why 1.7.3 gives inaccurate timings as opposed to 1.7.0? Also, what are some of the limitations of Hynix CJR when it comes to frequency, relative to voltage and timings? I plan to run my kit at 3000 Mhz and very tight timings as I am on Ryzen 1000 currently, to avoid IF instabilities.

bfollett

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2005
It's not that version 1.7.3 timings are necessarily wrong. They're just not as tight. He must have run into some kits that couldn't handle the tighter timings and backed off in the later releases. I have a zen+ (2600x) cpu. I run into IF instabilities with anything above 3400Mhz. V1.7.0 suggests "Fast" cas 14 timings for 3400Mhz, v1.7.3 suggests cas 15 timings. I did tweak the voltages a bit though. I was able to back down to 1.4v dram voltage instead of the suggested 1.44v in 1.7.0 , but I had to increase the Soc voltage to 1.07 to stabilize the IF.

Solution

bfollett

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2005
Also make sure you try the tRFC (alt) suggested by Dram Calc. The lower number will give a performance boost. I think if you have DJR memory this is a setting that can be set even lower than CJR memory but you'll just have to experiment. I can't go any lower than the tRFC (alt) suggestion without gettting errors on memory tests. Also you might even get a first gen Ryzen to 3200Mhz. It's worth a try.

just_lurking_ryzen

Prominent
Sep 25, 2019
Also make sure you try the tRFC (alt) suggested by Dram Calc. The lower number will give a performance boost. I think if you have DJR memory this is a setting that can be set even lower than CJR memory but you'll just have to experiment. I can't go any lower than the tRFC (alt) suggestion without gettting errors on memory tests. Also you might even get a first gen Ryzen to 3200Mhz. It's worth a try.
Alright, thanks a lot bfollett, I'll give it a shot.