[SOLVED] Advice AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT

jcjmbosman

Commendable
Oct 14, 2018
Hello Everyone,

I'm building a pc but I need your advice I'm thinking off buying an AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT but I don't have experience with their GPUs, so I'm wondering if any of you guys have this GPU and what do you think about it and specially the software and the support with it?

I know its a good GPU stat-wise and the price is great for what you get but I don't know about their software and if you guys had some issue with it. I already own an Nvidia video card and it works fine but I'm wondering if switching to AMD is worth it.

The build I'm going make atm, this could and probably will change a bit I'm not done yet.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor

Motherboard: Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS ATX AM4 Motherboard

Memory: Patriot Viper 4 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3733 Memory

Storage: Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive

Storage: Samsung 970 Evo 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive

Video Card: Sapphire Radeon RX 5700 XT 8 GB PULSE Video Card

Case: Cooler Master MasterCase H500 ATX Mid Tower Case

Power Supply: Corsair CXM 750 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX
Power Supply

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Solution
I've owned both AMD and nVidia cards- currently running on a GTX 1070 but had an R9 280 before that.

Software wise if you aren't doing anything complicated then both work fine. I think if anything nVidia often has better day 1 support for games on their newest cards. That said they aren't as good as AMD for supporting cards once they get a bit older- case in point the R9 280 is still getting good driver updates, whilst the GTX 700 series cards haven't had as much so tend to be comparatively slower in the latest games.

Honestly though you really can't go wrong with either- the main thing to look at is what performance and features you want. The 5700 XT is the price performance champ at your price bracket, although it does lack a few...
I've owned both AMD and nVidia cards- currently running on a GTX 1070 but had an R9 280 before that.

Software wise if you aren't doing anything complicated then both work fine. I think if anything nVidia often has better day 1 support for games on their newest cards. That said they aren't as good as AMD for supporting cards once they get a bit older- case in point the R9 280 is still getting good driver updates, whilst the GTX 700 series cards haven't had as much so tend to be comparatively slower in the latest games.

Honestly though you really can't go wrong with either- the main thing to look at is what performance and features you want. The 5700 XT is the price performance champ at your price bracket, although it does lack a few features offered on the RTX cards (i.e. ray tracing) so depends what you want. Personally I would probably go with the 5700 XT for the performance over say a RTX 2060 for similar money as that card isn't really fast enough to run ray tracing effects anyway (I think RTX effects will be a better thing to look at in a couple of generations time when the performance is better and software more mature).

Solution

TRENDING THREADS