Buying a GPU tomorrow to replace my Vega 56. Only replacing it because it's a 3 fan 2.5 slot cooler and I've moved to an ITX case that struggles fitting it in, it runs loud and hot and the far side of the card is actually resting on the PSU shroud. I'm stuck between a RTX 2070 and a 2060 Super. I know that the 2070 is a slightly better card but the models are the MSI Gaming X 2070 and the EVGA XC 2060 Super. Because my case isn't massive the MSI card is slightly thicker, even though the super is clocked higher, like a 2.25 slot card and the EVGA card is similar in thickness to a FE card (which I would be buying if they were ever in stock). Figured the extra 1/4 an inch would give the EVGA 2060 Super more room to breathe and help it run quieter.

I'm running a 1440p 75Hz monitor btw. Would get a 5700XT but the cards are either massive or really hot and loud aaaaand I've missed PhysX after leaving the 980 for a Vega 56.

Solution
I have an XC Ultra gaming 2060 Super, and it is neither loud nor hot. An exceptional card, but of course that depends on what resolution and settings you're pushing too. Obviously, case cooling is also a factor.

Between MSI and EVGA though, there is a glaring difference regardless of what card models you are comparing and that is the fact that EVGA stands behind and supports their products far more than any other hardware company that I know of except maybe Fractal design, which of course doesn't sell graphics cards. When it comes to graphics cards, power supplies and motherboards, product support should always be fairly high on the list of considerations because these are products that, no matter how good, tend to have much higher...
I have an XC Ultra gaming 2060 Super, and it is neither loud nor hot. An exceptional card, but of course that depends on what resolution and settings you're pushing too. Obviously, case cooling is also a factor.

Between MSI and EVGA though, there is a glaring difference regardless of what card models you are comparing and that is the fact that EVGA stands behind and supports their products far more than any other hardware company that I know of except maybe Fractal design, which of course doesn't sell graphics cards. When it comes to graphics cards, power supplies and motherboards, product support should always be fairly high on the list of considerations because these are products that, no matter how good, tend to have much higher potential failure rates than other hardwares. So keep that in mind while making your decision as well.

I'm running a 1440p 144hz G-sync compatible Freesync monitor, and while I have to drop some settings down for some games, it does an admirable job for a card that is 2.5 levels down from the flagship. If you could get a 2070 XC Ultra gaming, that would be marginally better especially at 1440p, and if you are somebody who wants to see Ultra everything on every game, then a 2070 Super might actually be a better choice.

Solution

Between MSI and EVGA though, there is a glaring difference regardless of what card models you are comparing and that is the fact that EVGA stands behind and supports their products far more than any other hardware company that I know of except maybe Fractal design, which of course doesn't sell graphics cards. When it comes to graphics cards, power supplies and motherboards, product support should always be fairly high on the list of considerations because these are products that, no matter how good, tend to have much higher potential failure rates than other hardwares. So keep that in mind while making your decision as well.

I'm running a 1440p 144hz G-sync compatible Freesync monitor, and while I have to drop some settings down for some games, it does an admirable job for a card that is 2.5 levels down from the flagship. If you could get a 2070 XC Ultra gaming, that would be marginally better especially at 1440p, and if you are somebody who wants to see Ultra everything on every game, then a 2070 Super might actually be a better choice.
I’m only pushing 75Hz so it’s not too bad, my Vega 56 is doing fine with pretty much everything 1440p on ultra. I do mainly play Overwatch and 3rd person AA games like tomb raider, Dark souls and the Arkham games.

This is my issue with the Strix though