[SOLVED] advice for a build for son ~$400

zze86

Prominent
Oct 21, 2020
I'm looking to build a PC for my son so he can play Roblox and Minecraft with his older brothers and every once in a while he and I can play Fortnite together. Besides Fortnite, the games aren't the most demanding but wanted advice on maximizing the performance/$$$. I'm not looking to spend a whole lot of money for this, $350-$400.

MUST have:
WiFi

What I have that I would like to use:
450W-850W ATX PSU - multiple units with low hours
Cougar QBX case
16GB (2x8GB) DDR4-3200 RAM
multiple 80mm-120mm case fans
120GB Sata SSD
500GB M.2 NVME SSD

What I have thought about putting together:
MSI Gaming Plus Max motherboard
AMD 4650G (only ~$30 premium over a 3400G at this time)
AMD Wraith cooler or something similar

The above would put me right around the $350 mark. I'm not sure if I would be better off with a dedicated GPU? I have not been keeping up with those at all. If so an intel system might be more cost effective?

Your advice is appreciated. TIA!

Last edited:
Solution
edited original post with more info. I'm not opposed to spending a little more if the system can grow with him but really would prefer to keep it around ~$350

I have storage. Forgot to include that. Kind of went wild buying M.2 SSDs during Black Friday deals, lol.

PSUs are ~5 years or younger with low hours. Mix of Seasonic, Corsair and OEM backup and test units. I think I'll be OK. It's not going to be a particularly demanding build.
Ok then,when this gpu situation calms down,which is expected to be around April,you can probably get your son a 1660 super for 200-250$,which is one of the best budget 1080p cards.

Lutfij

Titan
450W-850W ATX PSU
Make and model of the PSU and it's age?

The QBX accepts itx motherboard only. I seem to directed to an Amazon page with a search list, not a direct product, which is why I've stated that fact about motherboard compatibility. With reduced details you should be good to go with the gaming rig but you're also going to need to factor in storage, in the form of an SSD.

Intel wouldnt be better for gaming performance.Its integrated graphics are terrible in comparison to ryzen's.
You cant afford a gpu with 350e budget.Especially now when a 1650 super would cost you 300$.
3200g is enough in my opinion,my friend has it paired with 16gb lf 2666mhz ram,it can game anything.
What about storage and case?
You are better off paying 50$ for a cx450,i wouldnt use your existing psu as the post above me said.

zze86

Prominent
Oct 21, 2020
edited original post with more info. I'm not opposed to spending a little more if the system can grow with him but really would prefer to keep it around ~$350

I have storage. Forgot to include that. Kind of went wild buying M.2 SSDs during Black Friday deals, lol.

PSUs are ~5 years or younger with low hours. Mix of Seasonic, Corsair and OEM backup and test units. I think I'll be OK. It's not going to be a particularly demanding build.

Ok then,when this gpu situation calms down,which is expected to be around April,you can probably get your son a 1660 super for 200-250$,which is one of the best budget 1080p cards.

Solution