New Build:
Intel Core i7-12700K
MSI MPG Z690 CARBON WIFI
MSI - MPG A850G
MSI Ventus GeForce RTX 3060 12GB
Kingston FURY Beast 32GB
MSI MPG GUNGNIR 110R
Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black

So basically a while back I bricked my motherboard due to me ignorantly updating its bios despite the pc running fine. I've had my previous PC for 7 years and I thought an upgrade would be good. And so here we are, I am building a new PC and was wondering if I could get yall thoughts on it. I will be using my old storage for the new build hoping it would just smoothly transfer all my files and hopefully my operating system with it's key like it did with my old build. The plan is that once I finish the build I will just download/update drivers and anything necessary to run the pc smooth. Should I still try to update bios on this new build? Any thoughts/advice is appreciate. Thanks!

New Build:
Intel Core i7-12700K
MSI MPG Z690 CARBON WIFI
MSI - MPG A850G
Kingston FURY Beast 32GB
MSI MPG GUNGNIR 110R

So basically a while back I bricked my motherboard due to me ignorantly updating its bios despite the pc running fine. I've had my previous PC for 7 years and I thought an upgrade would be good. And so here we are, I am building a new PC and was wondering if I could get yall thoughts on it. I will be using my old storage for the new build hoping it would just smoothly transfer all my files and hopefully my operating system with it's key like it did with my old build. The plan is that once I finish the build I will just download/update drivers and anything necessary to run the pc smooth. Should I still try to update bios on this new build? Any thoughts/advice is appreciate. Thanks!
Have you already purchased those components? If not what country are you located, what is your budget and what is your monitor resolution?

May 15, 2023
Have you already purchased those components? If not what country are you located, what is your budget and what is your monitor resolution?
Yes, I have already ordered the parts. Honestly my budget was 1.3k and the build costed me 1.2k with some change because of tax and delivery. my monitor right now is an LG Ultragear FHD, it has a 2560 x 1440 resolution if I remember correctly.

Reactions: Why_Me
May 15, 2023
"smoothly transfer......"

Not quite clear on your situation, but...........

if you are in fact replacing 7 year old hardware, you should certainly be thinking of a clean install of Windows, followed by a reinstallation of all programs.
Sorry I know the explanation wasnt the best. I'll try to try explain further but it might still not make sense. Basically in the past I had a PC which we'll just call PC-1. basically PC-1 was used thoroughly from video games, streaming movies and doing homework and after 3 years I decided to build a new PC (PC-2). When I finished building PC-2 it had all new parts except the hard drives and so when I booted up the new PC-2 it still had everything from PC-1, including its OS with product key, documents and even some PC configurations. I didn't expect it to happen, I even had a windows media tool on a flash drive ready, but I just accepted it, updated my drivers and OS and went my way. Basically now I want to take the broken PC-2's hard drive and put it on my new PC-3 and hoping it saves everything again like it did with my previous scenario. I'm not sure if that was normal or whatnot but thats what happend.

Well I've been using the PC for 7 years but it only broke down like a week ago so things on the hard drives are pretty up to date, I think. I kept everything up to date, apps and windows updates etc.

Sorry if it still doesn't make any sense. English is not my first language. But please advice if I really should just reinstall everything then I will just do that

D

Deleted member 2947362

New Build:
Intel Core i7-12700K
MSI MPG Z690 CARBON WIFI
MSI - MPG A850G
Kingston FURY Beast 32GB
MSI MPG GUNGNIR 110R

hello again about your old motherboard we could not recover, if it's less than 3 years old I would send the motherboard back to the manufacturer explain what happened and what you have tried to do to recover it don't let them flog you off it's your fault it's not and insist on fix or replacement

It's their software they supply you with and that does not void your warranty if the flash fails

After all, some of these BIOS updates are for IMPORTANT security patches and are important to upgrade to.

The manufacturer warranty will be probs 3 years for that motherboard?

They will mostly likely either just fix the bios issue and send it back to you or send you a replacement.

look on their website for support and returns and use your customer rights

even if you end up buying another motherboard you could still sell the replacement to off set some of the cost of your new motherboard or keep it for a back up board.

I just see your old build was 7 years old, scratch everything above then lol I didn't even realise your system was 7 years when we where trying to recover the bad flash heh.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry I know the explanation wasnt the best. I'll try to try explain further but it might still not make sense. Basically in the past I had a PC which we'll just call PC-1. basically PC-1 was used thoroughly from video games, streaming movies and doing homework and after 3 years I decided to build a new PC (PC-2). When I finished building PC-2 it had all new parts except the hard drives and so when I booted up the new PC-2 it still had everything from PC-1, including its OS with product key, documents and even some PC configurations. I didn't expect it to happen, I even had a windows media tool on a flash drive ready, but I just accepted it, updated my drivers and OS and went my way. Basically now I want to take the broken PC-2's hard drive and put it on my new PC-3 and hoping it saves everything again like it did with my previous scenario. I'm not sure if that was normal or whatnot but thats what happend.

Well I've been using the PC for 7 years but it only broke down like a week ago so things on the hard drives are pretty up to date, I think. I kept everything up to date, apps and windows updates etc.

Sorry if it still doesn't make any sense. English is not my first language. But please advice if I really should just reinstall everything then I will just do that

You can certainly just put the PC-2 hard drive into PC-3.

It may boot and work well permanently.

It may boot and work well temporarily and then develop problems that you would have to fix.

It may not boot at all.

My point is that you should be prepared to do a clean Windows install and a reinstallation of all programs IF THAT BECOMES NECESSARY.

It may or may not become necessary. You may be fully prepared or poorly prepared. I have no idea.

Most here would tell you to do the clean install regardless. You can certainly do something else and see what happens. No one can say what that is with much certainty.

Last edited:
May 15, 2023
hello again about your old motherboard we could not recover, if it's less than 3 years old I would send the motherboard back to the manufacturer explain what happened and what you have tried to do to recover it don't let them flog you off it's your fault it's not and insist on fix or replacement

It's their software they supply you with and that does not void your warranty if the flash fails

After all, some of these BIOS updates are for IMPORTANT security patches and are important to upgrade to.

The manufacturer warranty will be probs 3 years for that motherboard?

They will mostly likely either just fix the bios issue and send it back to you or send you a replacement.

look on their website for support and returns and use your customer rights

even if you end up buying another motherboard you could still sell the replacement to off set some of the cost of your new motherboard or keep it for a back up board.

I just see your old build was 7 years old, scratch everything above then lol I didn't even realise your system was 7 years when we where trying to recover the bad flash heh.
No that was my fault in my last post, I said that the PC was 5 years old but didnt mention that the mobo and cpu was like 7 years old, but everything else was changed like 5 years ago, so all good that was poor explanation on my part, but yeah I wished I can still get warranty but I cannot anymore. Funny story though my brother had an asus mobo that had an Core i7 sitting around that he deemed "dead" aswell, but this time around we said screw it and did everything that you told me to try from the last post and guess what, my brother has a new PC now. I say new but its my old parts slapped on with his new mobo and cpu, which is ALOT stronger, than what I had, so thanks to the advices you gave me back then I really appreciate it. It could have been just me getting a new PC for myself, but today my brother has a PC and next week I will too. Thanks again!!!!

May 15, 2023
You can certainly just put the PC-2 hard drive into PC-3.

It may boot and work well permanently.

It may boot and work well temporarily and then develop problems that you would have to fix.

It may not boot at all.

My point is that you should be prepared to do a clean Windows install and a reinstallation of all programs IF THAT BECOMES NECESSARY.

It may or may not become necessary. You may be fully prepared or poorly prepared. I have no idea.

Most here would tell you to do the clean install regardless. You can certainly do something else and see what happens. No one can say what that is with much certainty.
So right now my brother took my old parts but used his own cpu and mobo and everything worked the same way before my PC died, but honestly I was thinking of letting him keep it and just getting a new M.2 and doing a clean slate of windows.

Also might be a really odd/awkward question, but since I will be installing a new M.2 for windows, do you by any chance know a way I can get windows key for cheaper? I know its not that bad to have a "activate windows" on the side all the time, but I would prefer it gone and without having to pay 100 bucks for a key, but other than that thank you so much for the advice! I really appreciate it!