Question Advice for a virgin OC'er - How do I get my DRAM frequency from 2133MHz to 3200Mhz?

Jan 15, 2020
Hi all

Want to start by saying my Asrock x570 Phantom Gaming X supports RAM frequencies up to 4200 (cough) and my RAM kit is 4x8 sticks of validated CMW32GX4M4C3200C16 (listed in the mobo QVL table). I've also updated my BIOS.

So it 'should' run at 3200MHz by default, right?!

It didn't. So I enabled XMP 2.0 Profile 1 in the BIOS which set the DRAM frequency to 3200. The timings it showed also matched those on the packaging. But the system crashes out to the Windows blue screen not long after booting into Windows.

The CPUZ report I just managed to get with XMP enabled was:
I've read I should start by upping the voltages? Thoughts?

This last week's been a STEEEP learning curve. Thanks for reading.

According to your screen shot your ram is running at 3200Mhz, CPU-z always shows half the speed of what its running.

DDR stands for Double Data Rate, 1599.6 x 2 is 3200Mhz

AMD with the ryzens have been kind of finicky with ram, you need to make sure the ram is on the Quality vendors list for the motherboard. Also running 4 sticks puts stress on the memory controller and makes it a lot harder to get higher speeds to run. You may have been better getting a 2x16GB kit instead of 4x8Gb to reach higher Mhz speeds.

Reactions: L-Bombo
Jan 15, 2020
Sorry gents and gentess', I should've been clearer in the original post.

I'm aware CPUZ logs reference RAM frequency at half the advertised DDR. The problem is this setup isn't stable and causes Windows to crash every time. The CPUZ log shows the timings are per the recommendations for 3200MHz so I'm wondering if I should start by playing with voltage?

Or should I scrap the recommended timings, run the Asrock timing claculator thing I've read about and come up with my own timings and voltage?

Jan 15, 2020
DIMM Socket Support in the QVL you referenced does not seem to show 4 of 4 memory slots populated for CMW32GX4M4C3200C16 .

If you're talking about the '2/4' value in the DIMM Socket Support column then yeh, this puzzled me. I'm not sure if it meant only 2 of the 4 slots were used in testing or if this RAM is rated for use in either 2 or 4 slots. Since other rows had a plain '2' and not '2/4' I assumed the latter. Otherwise Asrock are using two different conventions to communicate the same thing, that 2 DIMMS were used = dumb.

I agree with you and @faalin that 2x16GB would be better but I went full RGB (hope I've not lost you now!) because it was a build with my son who loved the lights. Trying to fix what I'm stuck with now :)