[SOLVED] Advice for Cheap Web Browsing Computer for my Elder Mother

dpeel

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2007
Last week a lightning surge took out my Mother's Desktop Computer I had fixed up for her from an old system of mine. I've got a case, power supply....need to buy a CPU, Motherboard and DDR4 Memory. I'm thinking about using a AMD Athlon 200GE which should eliminate the need for a dedicated graphics card and a Gigabyte GA-A320M-S2H Motherboard. I'd probably only put 8 gigs of DDR 4 in it as my mom will only be using it for web browsing, email, printing, etc.

Any advice or comments would be appreciated...trying to do this as cheaply as possible. I'll use the hard drive that's in the old system as it seems to be ok.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
I would totally be considering used SFF Dell Optiplex with Win 10 license on this one. $100 with a 4/5th gen i5 that would curb stomp the performance of that 200GE. They are REALLY poor performers.
Put a cheap leftover SSD in there and it should rock out.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
^ With the above said you would have to decide it it was right for you, but I have had exceptional good luck over the years getting refurbed a and b grade laptops from Newegg. Be wary of the ratings and reviews of "sold by" just as you would on Amazon and the like.

dpeel

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2007
I would totally be considering used SFF Dell Optiplex with Win 10 license on this one. $100 with a 4/5th gen i5 that would curb stomp the performance of that 200GE. They are REALLY poor performers.
Put a cheap leftover SSD in there and it should rock out.
Please tell me where I can look at this option.

USAFRet

Titan
^ With the above said you would have to decide it it was right for you, but I have had exceptional good luck over the years getting refurbed a and b grade laptops from Newegg. Be wary of the ratings and reviews of "sold by" just as you would on Amazon and the like.
Indeed.
I got burned with an OS license on a laptop I bought last year.
Newegg, and a 3rd party seller.

That's why the one I linked was "Sold by Newegg, Shipped by Newegg".

Reactions: punkncat

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
Please tell me where I can look at this option.

Do an eBay search on (for instance) Optiplex 3020 SFF. Look around in the areas of 30xx, 70xx, 90xx as the model number, then the second set, like 10, 20, 30 is indication of the generation it's built on. Be sure to read the deets on it being a licensed copy of Win 10.

Edit, for instance, first return is $50 without Windows...$95 with.

Wolfshadw

Titan
If you've already got the case, power supply and storage, then I'd probably recommend the following:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3200G 3.6 GHz Quad-Core Processor ($87.99 @ B&H)
Motherboard: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard ($114.99 @ Best Buy)
Memory: G.Skill Aegis 8 GB (1 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($31.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $234.97
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-06-27 21:29 EDT-0400

Note that the processor is only $15 more expensive than the Athlon 200GE and going with the MSI B450 "Max" series, there's no need for a BIOS update.

-Wolf sends

dpeel

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2007
If you've already got the case, power supply and storage, then I'd probably recommend the following:

PCPartPicker Part List

Note that the processor is only $15 more expensive than the Athlon 200GE and going with the MSI B450 "Max" series, there's no need for a BIOS update.

-Wolf sends
Looks pretty good. A little more than I was hoping to spend but looks like it's worth it. Do you know off hand if the motherboard bios would have to be upgraded for this cpu?

dpeel

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2007
? Why wouldn't it need bios updates? I would suppose that the CPU is old enough that this board would recognize it? Just found a CPU compatibility chart and the CPU is listed. I'm getting ready to order the parts and I thank you for your input.
Just ran into a problem....the motherboard isn't in stock after all.

dpeel

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2007
Seems that is the case.

Given you're already over budget and the next lowest priced motherboard is $100 more expensive (if it's in stock), I'd say either hold off on this or go in another direction.

-Wolf sends
yes...that's my observation at this point. I would be willing to buy a used AM4 Motherboard from someone who has the ability to flash the bios to the latest so the cpu would be recognized by the cpu.

Solution

dpeel

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2007

PCPartPicker Part List

-Wolf sends
Well, I decided to buy these parts....I had to pay slightly more ....got the cpu from Best Buy and the MB and Memory from Newegg. I also decided to buy a 500GB WD SATA SSD as the old hard drive probably needed to be retired. I'm looking forward to putting this together for my 91 year old mother. She already misses having her computer.

Reactions: Flayed