[SOLVED] Advice for component matching

Mr_Bertonio

Reputable
Sep 30, 2015
I'm looking for some advice, since I haven't been following pc news last years.

My current system consists of the following components:
CPU: i7 870
RAM: 8GB DDR3 @ 1600MHz
GPU: R9 380X 4GB

I just bought a GTX1060 6GB from a friend of mine, thus I want to upgrade to get all the performance out of it. The system is used mainly for gaming (GTA V, Kerbal Space Program, War Thunder, Project Cars, Prison Architect, Dirt Rally 2). With some research on different forums, a lot of people recommend a ryzen 5 3600 or i5 9400f. Looking around for prices in my area (The Netherlands) then it doesn't really matter.

What would be the best match for my use-case?

EDIT: I'm using a single 1080p monitor

Last edited:
Solution
Either the 3600 or 9400F is perhaps 2x the capability of your i7-870 in gaming.
A balanced gamer will budget 2x the cost of the processor for the graphics card.
Working backwards from that, the lower cost of the 9400F would be appropriate.
Your games tend to depend on single thread core speed.

popatim

Titan
If what you already have is working fine for you then is there really a need to upgrade?

If you still wish to, post your budge for it.
Keep in mind that you will need a CPU, CPU Cooler, Motherbd, Ram, Case (only if you want front usb3 ports) , and possibly a PSU (you don't list what you have) and at that point why not spend another $100 or so for an SSD.

Reactions: Mr_Bertonio

Mr_Bertonio

Reputable
Sep 30, 2015
If what you already have is working fine for you then is there really a need to upgrade?

If you still wish to, post your budge for it.
Keep in mind that you will need a CPU, CPU Cooler, Motherbd, Ram, Case (only if you want front usb3 ports) , and possibly a PSU (you don't list what you have) and at that point why not spend another $100 or so for an SSD.
Thanks for your reply. I didn't think of all those ^^.

I'm looking to upgrade my cpu, ram and motherboard. I have another compatible heatsink, case, power supply and storage (ssd + hdd).

The reason why I want to upgrade is that in most games, my gpu is not used fully since my cpu is locked at full load.

Either the 3600 or 9400F is perhaps 2x the capability of your i7-870 in gaming.
A balanced gamer will budget 2x the cost of the processor for the graphics card.
Working backwards from that, the lower cost of the 9400F would be appropriate.
Your games tend to depend on single thread core speed.

Reactions: Mr_Bertonio
Solution

Mr_Bertonio

Reputable
Sep 30, 2015
Which PSU do you have?
I would plan on a new cooler unless you're sure what you have will fit the newer socket and cool the 6 core CPU. You might possible be able to order a compatible cooler mount from the manufacturer.

I got an CX600 so that's fine. And yes I need a new cooler since mine is outdated.