[SOLVED] Advice for first home office and gaming PC

schroedingersket

Prominent
Apr 6, 2019
Hello everybody,

I've selected some parts for my first time build and would be very glad about some feedback for it. I hope I don't violate any forum rules.

Approximate Purchase Date: Black Friday / Cyber Monday

Budget Range: 1500$ at the very most; preferably less

System Usage from Most to Least Important:

• Home office (coding, remote desktop, lectures, perhaps some deep learning, probably vision-related). Linux compatibility is important
  • Gaming
  • Compile custom ROM (perhaps)
  • Crackmes (perhaps a couple of times per year)

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/schroedingersket/saved/N9bgbv

Parts Preferences: Quiet

Overclocking: no

SLI or Crossfire: not sure what it is, so I assume no

Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080 (dual monitor setup for work, not necessarily needed for gaming; option to add a 3rd monitor in the future would be nice)

Additional Comments:
I have a tinnitus, so it is important to me that the PC is quiet, at least when I'm not doing much (e. g. watch a lecture while LibreOffice, Thunderbird, Firefox with a dozen tabs, perhaps a Latex editor). Therefore the case is needed. My current Thinkpad T430s is screaming like a banshee, probably due to the accumulated dust of the last 8 years.

I appreciate every form of feedback very much.

Cheers,
schroedingersket

Solution
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/yYLjGq
Edited it a little bit.Shame there are no 5600X processors available,it would be perfect for this build,but 3600 will be more than good.The CPU cooler is super quiet and a good performer,its downside its that is rlly ugly,but judging by the case u choose,beauty of this system isnt a problem to u.The motherboard is rlly great,good VRM's,next gen support,a lot of upgradability options.The storage is good.I like the fact that u choose 1660 super,its litterally the perfect card for budget build's now,since i dont think nobody wants to buy RTX 20 series,and the new cards are unavailable,the 1660 super turns out to be a rlly good option,also its the MSI edition so its rlly silent.Now to the case,i...
Edited it a little bit.Shame there are no 5600X processors available,it would be perfect for this build,but 3600 will be more than good.The CPU cooler is super quiet and a good performer,its downside its that is rlly ugly,but judging by the case u choose,beauty of this system isnt a problem to u.The motherboard is rlly great,good VRM's,next gen support,a lot of upgradability options.The storage is good.I like the fact that u choose 1660 super,its litterally the perfect card for budget build's now,since i dont think nobody wants to buy RTX 20 series,and the new cards are unavailable,the 1660 super turns out to be a rlly good option,also its the MSI edition so its rlly silent.Now to the case,i read some comments on this case and it turns out its rlly quiet,so if it fits ur purposes its rlly good,just make sure to check for dust every now or then since it rlly isnt the best for airflow.The previous psu was rlly weak,so i replaced it with a stronger unit.And you really dont need to pay 100$ for a OS,just buy it for cheaper somewhere on the internet or just use it unnactivated.Good build!

Solution

schroedingersket

Prominent
Apr 6, 2019
Edited it a little bit.Shame there are no 5600X processors available,it would be perfect for this build,but 3600 will be more than good.The CPU cooler is super quiet and a good performer,its downside its that is rlly ugly,but judging by the case u choose,beauty of this system isnt a problem to u.The motherboard is rlly great,good VRM's,next gen support,a lot of upgradability options.The storage is good.I like the fact that u choose 1660 super,its litterally the perfect card for budget build's now,since i dont think nobody wants to buy RTX 20 series,and the new cards are unavailable,the 1660 super turns out to be a rlly good option,also its the MSI edition so its rlly silent.Now to the case,i read some comments on this case and it turns out its rlly quiet,so if it fits ur purposes its rlly good,just make sure to check for dust every now or then since it rlly isnt the best for airflow.The previous psu was rlly weak,so i replaced it with a stronger unit.And you really dont need to pay 100$ for a OS,just buy it for cheaper somewhere on the internet or just use it unnactivated.Good build!
Thank you very much for your feedback! :)

I'm glad to hear that my choices make sense. I've also thought about the 5600x, but there is always room for upgrade in the future. ;) Given that I've been using a laptop from 2012, I guess I will appreciate the 3600 extremely.

So apart from the power unit, everything should be fine? I don't fully understand this: According to PCPartPicker, my build needs about 300W, so why do I need a 750W PSU?

About cleaning the dust cleaning: Do I need special tools for this?

Thank you very much for your feedback! :)

I'm glad to hear that my choices make sense. I've also thought about the 5600x, but there is always room for upgrade in the future. ;) Given that I've been using a laptop from 2012, I guess I will appreciate the 3600 extremely.

So apart from the power unit, everything should be fine? I don't fully understand this: According to PCPartPicker, my build needs about 300W, so why do I need a 750W PSU?

About cleaning the dust cleaning: Do I need special tools for this?
300W is just to boot the system up,every other action will cause shutdowns since the system will draw more power than 300W.Thats why you see a recommended power supply wattage when ur looking at some GPU (for example:To run RTX 3070 you need 650W powersupply).That means it needs minimum 650W to be able to run games or other GPU intensive things.I put a 750W powersupply for the purpose of upgrading you GPU or CPU in the future,without having to replace the power supply.For the cleaning if you check for dust every 2 weeks,a simple brush will do,if you leave it run for 6 months its gonna collect much more dust,which will require a dust blower to clean.The more u maintain it,the less problems ur gonna have.That is a good thing about glass side panels,u can see if ur system is dusty without having to open it.But im sure if u maintain ur system regurarelly ur gonna have no problems.