Advice for gaming build Intel Nividia

Dull_Shooter

Reputable
Mar 26, 2015
PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/qX62nQ
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/qX62nQ/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($237.98 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H80i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Hero ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($123.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($56.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Sandisk Ultra Plus 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($99.00 @ Amazon)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($75.89 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 4GB WINDFORCE Video Card ($314.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case ($84.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($64.99 @ NCIX US)
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224DB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer ($13.98 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 - 64-bit (OEM) (64-bit) ($91.75 @ OutletPC)
Wireless Network Adapter: Gigabyte GC-WB867D-I 802.11a/b/g/n/ac PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter ($29.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Case Fan: Corsair Air Series SP120 High Performance Edition (2-Pack) 62.7 CFM 120mm Fans ($27.89 @ OutletPC)
Monitor: Asus VX228H 60Hz 21.5" Monitor ($144.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Keyboard: Razer DeathStalker Wired Gaming Keyboard ($57.99 @ Amazon)
Mouse: Logitech G602 Wireless Optical Mouse ($54.99 @ Amazon)
Speakers: Logitech Z313 25W 2.1ch Speakers ($33.89 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $1585.27
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-03-30 15:44 EDT-0400

I've been working on this build for some time now, and still would like some advice on what I have.
Approximate Purchase Date: End of summer, likely.

Budget Range: 1700 before rebates

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Web browsing/school work; work; gaming

Parts Not Required: Possibly monitor, but it is shit. If absolutely needed, I could test it with Ubuntu.

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Do not care at all, would be willing to buy from private dealers for better price/quality.

Parts list: above

Overclocking: Likely to an extent

SLI or Crossfire: In the future, maybe

Monitor Resolution: listed in parts list and up, think it's 1920 by 1080

Additional Comments: Need to keep cool, relatively. Case needs to look minimalist, but would like a little flair. Something like the Viper GX mid case would be about my max for flair.
Want to play games at pretty high settings, hopefully max, and do it for some time. BUT NOT WITHOUT BREAKING THE BANK.
More about : advice time gaming

Solution
i was joking, christ don't take it so seriously, no when you have such a gigantic budget AMD has no good CPU to offer you, simple, that's what i've been saying all along

Remixex

Reputable
Mar 18, 2014
And yet another one goes to the blue team
Just kidding :D
Nothing major to add, your mouse is more expensive than the speakers though that's a big wow
maybe stretch it to the i5 4690K?
good video card pick
just be careful when installing the cooler system
great high-end build, expensive too
cheers :D

toddybody

Distinguished

Nice Parts Dude...all good choices.

The only recommendation I'd make is on the memory front; 16GB 1600Mhz kits arent that expensive and why not future proof with your other great components. *Yes, people can cite the "gamers dont need more than 6GB" excuse all the time...but thats changed recently with many modern titles.

Either way, great system man...congrats

Dull_Shooter

Reputable
Mar 26, 2015
@Remixex- I changed out the core, it saved me money for a better model. Also been thinking of getting better speakers, but maybe not now.
And if I go with Red team, things get wonky. Don't understand it, and can't ever find good reviews.
@toddybody-I might do that, but I'd like the best price possible. Would 4x4gb be cheaper than 2x8gb?

kaozer

Reputable
Nov 28, 2014
i dont have much to say from the pc itself but if you have to budjet to spare i would upgrade the keyboard to a razer blackwidow 2014 edition (i think its around 90$usd dont quote me on that) and while this is a bit more of personal preference i would go for a corsair m65 mouse.

why? well the blackwidow is a mecanical keyboard its quite a lot better than membrane keyboards like the deathstalker, and the mouse depending if you are going to play more shooters the m65 is a bit better. having personally tried both mices i found the m65 to be more accurate. although great build!

Dull_Shooter

Reputable
Mar 26, 2015
@kaoser- Really? I've been looking at a mechanical keyboard for awhile now. I use them on a public computer sometimes, it's just an older Apple mechanical keyboard. I've found it to be a lot louder than a membrane keyboard, but I think that is the type of switch. Have you noticed a difference?
As for the mouse, I can't seem to find much info for it. I play a lot of Elite Dangerous and Space Engineers, where having some extra buttons on the mouse can really help. Are there any macro keys on the m65? Also, if there are some, where are they? I would probably program one for changing DPI, if I can.

kaozer

Reputable
Nov 28, 2014

well yes mecanical keybard are usually louder due to the click they make as they activate. if the sound is truely an issue razer makes a stealth version that is nearly silent. as of membrane vs switches, i say switches hand down, better feel into them faster activation and faster release of the key also they are usually more resistant than membrane. i used to kill a membrane keyboard in about 6 months but ive had the blackwidow for over a year. as for the mouse it comes by default with 2 dpi adjustment buttons so you can switch between 3 profiles. 3 said profiles can be adjusted to anything between 50 and 8500 dpi with 50 dpi increment (25 or 50 writing this from memory) it has 3 buttons on the thumb rest that can be programmed/macro'd to anything you want and you can even change the dpi changer buttons to something else if you wish so

Dull_Shooter

Reputable
Mar 26, 2015
That's pretty nice. I'll have to look into that stealth varient. Not sure about the mouse, though. Kind of like the wireless models, not sure why. I think it cuts down on cords seen on the desk. I'll look into that, too.

Thanks everyone for your responses, I'll not mark this as solved so hopefully more people chime in.

Dull_Shooter

Reputable
Mar 26, 2015
@Remixex-I don't mean to slam AMD. I just don't have the experience to tell if an AMD processor would work better for this price range. If you have an AMD alternative that can deliver better performance per core than the Intel, tell me please. I'm not an Intel fanboy, if it means better performance. I've been under the assumption that AMD has more, weaker cores. And since On my way! of my favorite games (Space Engineers) doesn't support multi-core rendering yet, I thought Intel would do better. Can you prove me wrong?