Question Advice for Gaming PC

May 31, 2019
Hi,

I am looking to purchase a Gaming PC and I have found a prebuilt one for sale in my area. However I'd like to hear some feedback on if it's a decent PC to start off with, and if I would be overpaying for what the PC has to offer.

The PC is priced at $980

Here are the PC Specs:

Motherboard: Gigabyte H110M-S2H

CPU Type: Intel I7 7th Generation Kaby Lake

CPU Model: Intel I7 7700K Kaby Lake Quad Core 4.2Ghz (turbo 4.5Ghz)

CPU CPU Clock Speed: 4.2 Ghz

CPU Max Turbo Speed: 4.5 Ghz

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master TX3 EVO Cooler

Memory: 16gb DDR4: 2400mhz Performance Memory

Hard Drive Size: 240GB Gigabyte 2.5 Inch Solid State Drive

Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 8GB VR Ready (Multi screen supported)

Power Supply: Cooler Master 600W ATX Power Supply - MasterWatt Lite

Right off the bat, I don't like the Motherboard and CPU combination. They used an H series board for a K CPU, that means you won't be able to overclock it by easy means. Even if you're not thinking on doing that, it's a waste of money going for that combination.

The rest, for the price, reads fine to me? The 1070 is a solid choice of GPU for gaming. Even if they're not quite the best RAM modules, it's still 16GB. A non-disclosed SSD kind of irks me though, but an SSD is always welcome, I guess? Even if the CPU and MoBo combination is not to my liking, the CPU is not a bad one. Mid-range by today's standards, but still quite powerful on its own right.

To get a better sense of value, use https://pcpartpicker.com/ and build a comparable PC.

EDIT: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/gC6RD2

Compared to that, it's not a bad value, considering warranty (I'd imagine?). Still, you can go cheaper and better than that build, so keep that in mind.

Cheers!

Last edited:
Reactions: Cassie_rxx
May 31, 2019
Right off the bat, I don't like the Motherboard and CPU combination. They used an H series board for a K CPU, that means you won't be able to overclock it by easy means. Even if you're not thinking on doing that, it's a waste of money going for that combination.

The rest, for the price, reads fine to me? The 1070 is a solid choice of GPU for gaming. Even if they're not quite the best RAM modules, it's still 16GB. A non-disclosed SSD kind of irks me though, but an SSD is always welcome, I guess? Even if the CPU and MoBo combination is not to my liking, the CPU is not a bad one. Mid-range by today's standards, but still quite powerful on its own right.

To get a better sense of value, use https://pcpartpicker.com/ and build a comparable PC.

EDIT: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/gC6RD2

Compared to that, it's not a bad value, considering warranty (I'd imagine?). Still, you can go cheaper and better than that build, so keep that in mind.

Cheers!

Thank you so much for the detailed response!

I forgot to add in but The RAM it has is the Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 2400MHz DDR4 Memory/RAM Module

Yes, it does come with a warranty for 2 years

I'm aware that I can go much cheaper an better if I buy the parts and build it myself however I wouldn't feel comfortable doing that since I have no experience, so I wouldn't want to risk causing any damage whilst doing so.

Thank you so much for the detailed response!

I forgot to add in but The RAM it has is the Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 2400MHz DDR4 Memory/RAM Module

Yes, it does come with a warranty for 2 years

I'm aware that I can go much cheaper an better if I buy the parts and build it myself however I wouldn't feel comfortable doing that since I have no experience, so I wouldn't want to risk causing any damage whilst doing so.
It's a "mid-range" PC by today's standards, but will certainly be good to you.

Cheers!

Reactions: Cassie_rxx
Most entry level or midrange custom gaming systems use Ryzen cpus since they offer great performance and value. Most amd ryzen cpus omit graphics. This lowers the price and most gamers use an add in gpu anyhow. Low low end systems, like $300 can use a ryzen 2200g apu since it offers a decent 3.5ghz 4 core part and a rather powerfull vega 10 gpu part. 2200g systems with fast ram can run many 1080p games at lowest settings with 60fps in many cases.

There are a good few ryzen prebuilts now, so i suspect there will be even more after ryzen 3000 launch. A lot of these prebuilts are in the form of ryzen apu entry level gaming systems.
Some companies make amd ryzen cpu +AMD Rx gpu systemss, but these arent too common.

A ton of Ryzen laptops exist, since ryzen mobile chips pack a lot of cpu and gpu power in a low tdp package. This allows for laptops capable of many content creation tasks, light gaming, and fast general usage in a package that allows for thin and cheap ryzen laptops that are surprisingly powerful. Unfortunately many cheap ryzen laptops are crippled by slow ram, since the ryzen cpus need fast ram for optimal performance.

Id also wait or buy a really cheap 2200g system for entry level gaming in the meantime.