[SOLVED] Advice for GPU for second PC made out of spares

Oct 3, 2020
Need it to run dota 2 on low settings 60+ fps for LAN

Specs :
Athlon II X2 270
6 GB ram

Had a spare 750ti , Recently started to face PC restarts on starting the game. Tried cleaning the GPU and replacing the thermal paste. No change.

Any suggestions are welcome

Solution
Remove one of the sticks. See howe you go.
Then try it in another slot.
Then repeat for the other stick.

That should test the individual sticks and slots.

SteveRX4

Notable
BANNED
Sep 29, 2020
PC restarts aren't usually a GPU problem.

It could be that your CPU is getting too hot or the cooler fan has problems.

Or it could be problems with your ram.

How long have you had these problems?

Oct 3, 2020
PC restarts aren't usually a GPU problem.

It could be that your CPU is getting too hot or the cooler fan has problems.

Or it could be problems with your ram.

How long have you had these problems?

Hey,

At first , Random Pc restarts after heavy gaming use. Over time the restarts became more frequent.

PC restarts when I start games ( feels like when the GPU is in use )or play youtube vids for more than 2 mins.

Minor research online pointed towards a faulty SMPS (Cooler master THUNDER 500W) or a failing GPU.

Have not considered a faulty ram yet. Have a 4gb and 2 gb stick. Pc registers 5.8 out of 6 gb ram.

Steps i have taken :

Cleaned the CPU and cooler fan and replaced the thermal paste.

Cleaned the GPU and replaced the thermal paste in it.

Been using it without the GFX for testing purposes and 0 restarts as of yet.

Hope the above info can help you diagnose it better.

Will look into the RAM issue.

SteveRX4

Notable
BANNED
Sep 29, 2020
Checked the CPU pins?

Usually you need all sticks of ram to be the same eg 3 x 2gb (for 3 channel ram) or 2 x 2gb (for dual channel ram). The should be the same speed too. There's a better chance of them working if they arfe the same make and part number. They are only guaranteed to work if they are a kit that is approved for your motherboard.

Oct 3, 2020
Checked the CPU pins?

Usually you need all sticks of ram to be the same eg 3 x 2gb (for 3 channel ram) or 2 x 2gb (for dual channel ram). The should be the same speed too. There's a better chance of them working if they arfe the same make and part number. They are only guaranteed to work if they are a kit that is approved for your motherboard.

Well , I have been using these 2 sticks for over 2 years now. NO issues till the recent problems started to occur. Ran games at a decent fps too.

Any other troubleshooting steps you can suggest?

Wondering if a fresh windows install might work.

Any ideas on how to confirm if this is a RAM issue? Off the top of my head , removing the 2 gb stick and game testing it to check for restarts?