Question Advice for gtx 1080 ti sli build

Alexkaneaster

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2012
I'm looking for some opinions regarding a 1080 ti sli build I'm starting to plan out. I'll answer a few questions upfront, since I know the questions will be asked. I am not trying to build anything new and this is not a budget build. One of my hobbies is building era-appropriate systems after the tech is old. I mostly mess around with windows 95-XP stuff, so a 1080 ti build will be by far the newest I've built in that sense.

I love pc gaming, but I just don't have a lot of time for it right now. I put together a mid-range system in 2017 and use it as my main pc. I've decided to swap it out with a 1080 ti build and use it as my current system, but keep it intact as my 1080 era system permanently. Whenever a build a 'new' system down the road, I'll be keeping this one as my 1080 ti build.

I'll lay out what I currently have (the highlights) and what I'm thinking about going to. I'm primarily just trying to make sure all the parts are in sync. Little to no bottlenecking, just balanced. Kind of a 'best of the era' system, in a sense. I game (when I have time) on an Asus 2560x1440 144hz monitor. I plan on keeping it. I'm just trying to jump from a 1070 sli system to a 1080 ti sli system. Also worth noting, I made a mistake going with e-atx and want to drop down to atx and get a smaller case. I'm currently using a Cosmos II and it has a big footprint. I won't be upgrading this build down the road. This needs to be a one and done system.

Current system -

Rampage IV black
MSI 1070 sli

Possible system -

Asus Maximus XI Hero
EVGA SC 1080 ti sli

I can figure out the smaller details surrounding these parts. I'm just trying to see how far off the mark I am, if at all. I know the 9900k is a beast to cool, but I can figure that out. Anything wildly off here? I'm going to dismantle my current system and sell it either way. It's served me well, but I'm ready to move on.

Any advice is appreciated. I've purposefully held the pc tech market at arms length since building my last system, so I've done a lot of research to get back in for this build.