Advice for i7 build - Case and Cooling

G

Hi, I'm in the process of building a mid-priced desktop. My main concern is case and cooling since this is my first hand built computer. I want a fairly good case with some credibility (I've heard antec 300/600/900 are really good.) Please suggest something that will make sure everything fits, and provides good air flow. I intend to possibly overclock a little bit, just with the programs that the mobo/cpu provides.

Here's the parts I already have:

Intel Core i7 920 D0 Stepping Quad Core Processor LGA1366 2.66GHZ Bloomfield 8MB LGA1366 -SLBEJ-

Gigabyte X58A-UD3R ATX LGA1366 X58 DDR3 4PCI-E SATA3 USB3.0 Sound GLAN CrossFireX SLI Motherboard

OCZ XTC Platinum OCZ3P1333LV6GK DDR3-1333 6GB 3X2GB CL7-7-7-20 Triple Channel Memory Kit

XFX Radeon HD 4890 HD489XZSFC 1GB 850MHZ 1GB 3.9GHZ GDDR5 PCI-E 2XDVI HDTV Video Card

Western Digital WD15EARS Caviar Green 1.5TB SATA 64MB Cache 3.5IN Hard Drive OEM

Corsair TX750W 750W ATX 12V 60A 24PIN ATX Power Supply Active PFC 140MM Fan

I plan to buy any cheap dvd burner drive, and also Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit.

So, with all that in mind, what's a good case you would recommend? I don't need anything huge and fancy, but just something reliable (has good rep) and will allow for ample air flow. I only to plan to overclock the i7 920 to 3ghz at most, so I'm not really sure if I need extra cooling accessories. So far, the Antec 300 looks good but I'm thinking it might be too small, so maybe the 600?

Opinions needed~!

Thanks in advance. Oh and I'm buying from NCIX.com and newegg.ca from Canada.

ALSO, if you notice any compatibility issues among the pieces I have already, please let me know! I did a lot of research as I was buying parts, but if I missed something, help would be appreciated. And for the Graphics card, it's sort of temporary, I had a 4890 from before, so i know it seems weak for an i7 build, but it may change in the future. Thanks again!

tecmo34

Administrator
For Antec cases, I would go with the 300 Illusion or 902. I like the new Cooler Master CM690 II Advanced, as a great alternative to the Antec cases.

I would switch your hard drive out to the Seagate 7200.12 1TB hard drive, which is a much faster and better hard drive.

You will need an aftermarket HSF, if you plan on overclocking. I would go with the Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus. It is a great performing HSF at a great price.

G

I will probably switch out the HD later since I already have the WD 1.5tb. But yeah for the case, that helps a lot, but one question, if it the 300 and CoolerMaster 212 are "ATX" cases, does that mean my stuff won't fit in them? I heard unless you have a ATX motherboard it may not fit well.

Thanks for the reply!

tecmo34

Administrator
The Antec 300 will fit the Hyper 212 easy with an ATX or M-ATX motherboard. Here is a picture of my last build I did, which used an M-ATX motherboard...

DSC_0580.jpg

I know I say this a lot, but ask yourself: "Do I actually NEED a top fan?"

Yes, I'm aware of the boost they give to air circulation, but I'd argue that they're overkill for anyone but serious overclockers. Under regular circumstances, the primary use of a top fan seems to be as a nice big opening to spill things down.

TRENDING THREADS