[SOLVED] Advice for internal hard drives ?

thomas4204

Reputable
Dec 24, 2018
So just to keep it short, im running out of space on my computer and already have both m.2 drives filled up, i was looking for around a 4 TB internal hard drive as my 5tb external just recently failed. is this a good drive to go with? il be using this for storing games and im just not very knowledgeable about hard drives. Am i going to notice 7200rpm vs 5400 in loading times? Thanks.

Solution
is this a good drive to go with? il be using this for storing games
Depends on intended workloads.
Seagate Barracurdas are all SMR drives with terrible write performance consistency.
If you're going to do a lot of writing to the drive, then choose a different model instead.

You can use SMR drives for archives, backups, user media storage. Not a good choice for games drive though.
is this a good drive to go with? il be using this for storing games
Seagate Barracurdas are all SMR drives with terrible write performance consistency.
If you're going to do a lot of writing to the drive, then choose a different model instead.

You can use SMR drives for archives, backups, user media storage. Not a good choice for games drive though.

Solution

thomas4204

Reputable
Dec 24, 2018

What would you recommend then? I intend on spending less than 100 dollars, 150 at most.