Question Advice for Motherboard

Mar 12, 2019
Hey everyone

I am about to upgrade my CPU right now I have a case that supports ATX and I am not sure if it matters but my system right now has GTX 1060 3gb, B150M Bazooka Plus, i5-6402p and 350W PSU. My CPU use 65W so since I am gonna buy the ryzen 5 2600x it will consume like 30W more so I am not sure if it will be a problem or not but assuming not.

What would be your advice for my new Ryzen 5 2600x, I would like something that supports overclock as far as I searched B450 looks like a good motherboard and I am not looking to spend more than 125 dollars on the motherboard to be honest since as long as it support overclock I don't see how paying like 50 bucks more on a more advanced MOBO would make such difference to make it worth all the money I spent.

Well, the first thing is your power supply. 350W will supply the system, buuuuuuuuuut, you're going to be running that thing near maximum output. It is going to generate a lot of heat and shorten the life of the unit.

As for the motherboard, the B450 is where you want to be looking. Any of them would be good for what you want. My recommendation is the Asus Prime line. Which one you get and the price depends on what you need as far as form factor. The MATX, the smaller one, has less in the way of expansion slots, but also costs less at $85. If you need the ATX version you're looking at $109 from what I just looked at on Newegg. Either would be fine for day to day usage, but not great for extreme overclocking. You'll be able to get a modest overclock, but you won't want to unless you upgrade your power supply. Overclocking pretty quickly gets to the point where you are drawing a LOT more power. You'll overwhelm that 350W PSU in pretty short order. In the case of AMD CPUs they will auto overclock with XFR if they have the thermal and power headroom, so a new power supply in the 550W-650W range may actually improve performance as well.

So M ATX has the same performance ? and what do you mean by expansion.
Yes, the MATX boards have the same performance as the ATX ones. They just don't have as many PCI-E slots. What I mean by expansion is the ability to add more cards in, like a sound card, wireless networking card, or video capture card. With MATX not having as many PCI-E slots you won't be able to add in many cards if you need them later. Most have enough slots for the video card and 1 expansion card.

Ok so Asus TUF B450M Plus Gaming looks like good to me only question is does it have windows included with it?
No, motherboards don't include Windows. You might be able to reuse a Windows key if you have one, or you could pick one up from a third party discount key seller if you like to live dangerously (sometimes they don't work), or you could just buy a key from Microsoft. There are plenty of places that tell you how to create a Windows install USB drive, so it isn't like you need to go buy a disk or anything like that.

TRENDING THREADS