Advice for new amd build

typeonegativeguy

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2009
I havn't built a new pc in 5-6 years, and this current rig has reached the end of it's useful life. I've been looking as some components, but I'm the first to admit, I'm not as in touch with the current selections as I was 5-6 years ago. I'm trying to stay in the 700$ ballpark, but I don't want to go with cheap components, so if I go over a little, it's not a huge problem. I plan on sticking with amd, and ati for the gpu, as they've served me well in the past.

cpu - was looking at some of the phenoms, but with the recently released chips, I'm not sure if I should spend a few more dollars, and go with the new am3 socket.

mobo - this is where I'm really kinda up in the air in terms of making a decision. I've used asus mostly in the past, with good results, but looking at some current reviews, I'm really not sure where to go here.

gpu - I'm pretty sure I'll go with a 4850 or 4870. Likely go with the 4850, just to shave a few dollars off the build. I do play a few games, but would not really consider myself a gamer.

psu, ram, hd - these items I don't think I really need any help with. I don't have exact models picked out yet, but I generally know which brands are trustworthy, and I always read reviews before buying.

I know i've been pretty generic here, but the first 3 items are what I'd really like some help choosing. Keep in mind, I don't plan on overclocking. I just want to end up with something that will last me at least a couple years, and be very stable. Looking forward to some replies, thank you.

typeonegativeguy

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2009

I do apologize if my post was not in the correct format, I had seen your replies elsewhere on the site, and had tried many times to click that link, but I am unable to load the page that you link to. It causes my IE to hang every time, and ultimately I'm forced to end task.

theAnimal

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2009

I'll paste the template in for you. :)

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: (example: tomorrow -- the closer the better) BUDGET RANGE: (example: US$500-750)

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: (example: Folding@Home, gaming, surfing the internet, watching movies)

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: (examples: keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers, OS) **Include Power Supply Make & Model If Re-using**

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: (examples: newegg.com, ncix.com, ebuyer.com -- this is to help others see available options and prices)

PARTS PREFERENCES: by brand or type (example: I would like to use an AMD CPU & Biostar mobo with a 24" LCD and full tower case)

OVERCLOCKING: Yes / No / Maybe SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Yes / No / Maybe

MONITOR RESOLUTION: (examples: 1024x768, 1280x1024, 1440x900, 1600x1200, 1680x1050, 1920x1080, 1920x1200)

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: (examples: Need to have a window and lots of bling, I would like a quiet PC)

typeonegativeguy

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2009
tyvm

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: waiting on tax check any day now, likely 1-2 weeks at most
BUDGET RANGE: US$ 600-750

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: ability to play some games with decent performance, internet browsing, video playback with minor editting in some aspects.

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: monitor, keyboard, mouse, case, speakers

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: newegg, and prefer to shop only here.

PARTS PREFERENCES: by brand or type amd cpu, ati gpu, maybe asus mobo, but flexible on the mobo.

OVERCLOCKING: most likely no SLI OR CROSSFIRE: most likely no (I hate to exlude these 100%, but for my needs, I really don't forsee doing either of these)

MONITOR RESOLUTION: current monitor is only 1280x1024, but I do plan on upgrading this down the road somewhere, and definately want a gpu capable of performing at higher resolutions.

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: I've managed to get the most out of my current rig, with only a vid card replacent, and it's lasted about 6 years. I really can't play any modern games on it, except at lowest settings, and still with horrible performance. I'm not expecting to go another 6 years, but i'd like something that will last 2-3 comfortably.

theAnimal

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2009
CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX 650W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply - Retail $75AR
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139005

XFX HD-485X-YDFC Radeon HD 4850 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card - Retail $145AR
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150337

ASUS M4A78T-E AM3 DDR3 AMD 790GX ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail $140
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131366

AMD Phenom II X3 720 2.8GHz 3 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 95W Triple-Core Black Processor - Retail $145
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103649

Patriot Viper 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail $49AR
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820220372

Western Digital Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM $80
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136319

Pioneer Black 2MB Cache SATA 20X DVD±R DVD Burner - OEM $23
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827129032

typeonegativeguy

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2009

That's actually pretty close to most of what I was looking at, with a couple brand differences. Just a couple of quick questions for you. Regarding the video card, my friend suggested I go with asus or saphire for the manufacturer. I know ppl always have their favorites, just wondering if there's a particular reason you chose this one from xfx. Also, would there be a noticeable difference between the 4850, and the 4870, or is the lesser card more than enough for my needs? And just a quick question about this mobo. I know many of the older am2+ boards needed a bios flash to work propertly at certain memory speeds. Would this board need a bios update, or should it be good to go? thank you

Here's the other vid card I was looking at, what's your opinion?
SAPPHIRE 100259L Radeon HD 4870 512MB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102810

There's even a promo code attatched to this vid card, which ends up being $17.00 off, and the entire build, with this different vid card, ends up being $726 before 45 in mail in rebates. So, depending on what you have to say about this different card, I think i'm good to go with my selections. Now the biggest decision left is which OS to install when it gets here lol.

theAnimal

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2009
I chose the XFX because of the double lifetime warranty, which should increase resale value.

The 4870 would be more future-proof, but in that case I'd recommend the 1GB model which is $200+. It all depends on what resolution you plan to upgrade to. The other option would be HD4830 for $75-80, then upgrade video card & monitor together.

About the BIOS, I'm not sure.

effel

Distinguished
May 19, 2008
I'd modify a few things in that build suggestions.

Yes, the powersupply is nice, but a 650w is far overkill. You could power that build on a 500w(or less honestly) quite easily. Anandtech recently gave their Editor's choice gold award to the BFG LS-550w. You might want to look at that as an option, or even read that article for yourself-they go through 12 or so different high quality models. http://anandtech.com/casecoolingpsus/showdoc.aspx?i=3516

I agree with going with XFX on the 4850. Their warranty can't really be matched. You say you don't consider yourself a gamer, so I don't really see all the point of going with something with all the power. Perhaps you can justify your desire in a reply.

You could save yourself a few bucks, go for the Phenom II X3 720 (not BE). You say you won't be doing in overclocking, so I can't see the point in getting a product that's marketed for its overclocking. I'd take the BE though, the overclocking is very easily, and could pull some more longevity out of the system.

I'm honestly curious why you want to much graphical power out of your system though. So do get back to me.

typeonegativeguy

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2009

I will definately look into a lesser wattage psu, since I don't plan on doing crossfire in the future, 650 does seem like a bit much. As far as the vid card is concerned, I guess my goal is simply to have the option available to play a game or two if I want to, and not have terrible performance. I've played games in the past, currently I play wow occasionally, but that's about it, simply because other games aren't an option on my dinosaur. I'd like to try some current games, maybe i'll get into something, maybe I wont. But, there's nothing worse than finding a game you enjoy, but having to play it on terrible settings, with bad performance. I think i'd just rather pay a little more now, for something decent, so I don't end up wishing I had more.

effel

Distinguished
May 19, 2008
Well, what you say makes perfect sense. Did you check out that article? I'd say go for the 4870. I think the XFX ones are a bit more expensive than some other brands you can get, but I got to reiterate the double lifetime warranty you get when you buy with them. If you're going to be using a 4870, go for the BFG LS-550. Anandtech has nothing but praise for it.

I forgot to comment on some other parts in the listed build. The 640GB WD Caviar Black, is the way to go. 2x320GB platters, 32mb cache, 5 year warranty- good performance, acoustics, and warranty. Do you need more storage space than that? If so, the 1TB Caviar Black is a great option.

Do you have a case in mind? What about a CPU cooler? Take a look at the Xigmatek Dark Knight Heatsink/Fan, and the Lian Li Lancool K10 as some ideas.

typeonegativeguy

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2009

Just finished reading all that info you linked about the psu.....those guys really went all out with the testing haha. Looks like a good psu for sure. I'll take another look at the 4870's, looking at prices, and warranties, etc..., I think realisticly, either card will be enough for me, it'll prolly come down to my mood on my purchase day haha. And yeah, that HD looked perfect to me, it's plenty of space, almost double my current 3 drive setup. I plan on using my old case. I can't even tell you what it is off the top of my head, but it's nice and roomy, and has very good air flow in it. It's probably louder than many others, but that's not a problem for me. I wasn't planning on adding a cpu cooler, since I'm not planning on overclocking. If I ever do plan on overclocking, I'd upgrade the cooler of course, but in my past experience, the stock coolers usually do just fine, when placed in a properly cooled case.

4745454b

Titan
Actually, if you don't do a lot of gaming, but wouldn't mind the power to do so if you wanted to, consider the 4830/9800GT. Powerful enough to handle 16x10 for all but the newest and greatest, and should be $100 or even less. If you need to shave a few $$$ that is...

I also agree about a different psu, unless you can wait for the rebate. That 650 is a good one, and $75 isn't a bad deal at all. It all depends on if you can wait for the rebate to roll in. (assuming it ever does.)

typeonegativeguy

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2009
Well, just my luck, tax money came today, so I went to newegg to get my order in, and the mobo and psu are out of stock. I can find another decent psu, that's not really an issue, but I really don't know what to do about the mobo. Should I wait and hope they get it back in stock, or should I find a replacement?