Advice for new computer build

dankutney

Honorable
Jul 26, 2013
I am looking at building my first computer system. This would primarily be used for gaming. Below is a list of parts that I have considered. Basically I am trying to maximize the life and efficiency of my computer while keeping the cost as low as possible. My budget is about $1500 but as you can see the parts list already goes over that so I could spend a little more if it meant more future proofing.

Parts:

CPU: i7-4770k

CPU cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing

Motherboard: ASRock z87 Extreme4 LGA 1150

RAM: G.Skill Sniper Low Voltage Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600Mhz

SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 750GB 2.5"

GPU: Gigabyte GTX 770 GDDR5-2GB OC Windforce

Case: Fractal Design Define R4 mid ATX

PSU: Corsair Professional 750W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular

I already have a monitor, OS, and peripherals so I don't need to add any extra cost.

The final cost came out to be $1600.

I just need help from people who have had more experience with this and can tell me if these parts are any good for my cause. I also worried that the gigabyte GPU might not fit in the mid ATX case and I'm wondering if anyone can give me any insight into whether or not it would fit.

Thanks.

Solution
There's no need for the i7 if you're building a gaming rig. I'd get an i5-4670k, save a $100.00, and spend a little more on a better mother board such as an ASUS Sabertooth X79.

d1rtydeedz

Honorable
Dec 19, 2013
There's no need for the i7 if you're building a gaming rig. I'd get an i5-4670k, save a $100.00, and spend a little more on a better mother board such as an ASUS Sabertooth X79.

Solution
You actually did not do a bad mock build at all. Better than most. The Windforces tend to be rather long cards. You could most likely get a shorter one if you picked another brand. I agree with the other poster going with a Core I-5 to save $100. You will have no performance lost in gaming in the majority of cases.