Advice for new modem router.

Oct 8, 2018
Hi.
I have an old Digicom michelangelo Wave 54c that i grew tired of. My samsung s5 mini and my brother's ipod can't stay connected for too long (also i couldn't find the wireless technology, so i have no idea if they're mimo 2x2 or siso), sometimes they can't connect at all because my cellphone tells me that the network is "saved, Secured" (I already tried using WPS and static IP) and the wireless signal has troubles reaching the room where I use my laptop, and when my laptop can connect, it's usually for a short period of time. The signal has to travel through 2 walls and a few obstacles that I can't remove and the laptop is at least 12 meters away from the modem.
There aren't any particularly free wireless channels around, so it looks like I need a dual-band modem. Also I can't find how many dbi the antenna of my modem has.
We usually have at least 7 devices connected at the same time and I don't know if it's the modem or our ISP, but my modem loses connection at least once a day and I didn't find anything strange in the modem settings. My connection doesn't go beyond 12 mbps for downloading and 0.82 mbps for uploading, but I use it frequently so I really need a modem that doesn't need to be reset every single day.
I also need port forwarding, virtual servers settings and MAC address filtering. But I don't need usb ports and I'm willing to buy a 120 euros modem as long as I can solve my problem.

Any suggestions?

Solution
Your router is not real common and I find little written in english and that is all I can read. From what I can tell it has a DSL modem in it. That means the device recommended above will not work since that is designed for cable systems.

Its hard to say if a new device will solve your wireless issues. Dual band does allow you to use the 5g band which has more channels. Problem is the 5g band does not penetrate walls as much.

Lately I don't think there is much of a solution to the over crowding of wifi bandwidth. The tri-band router you see on the market will eat 2/3 or the bandwidth on 2.4g and 8/9 on the 5g. Then you have people that have all the repeaters and mesh systems using even more. Just way to many people...
Oct 8, 2018

It seems like they don't sell it at all in Italy. I would spend 150 euros minimum to buy it anywhere. :/ By the way, are you sure I need a 120 dollars modem to solve my issue with connection? I mean, I'm willing to spend that amount if it's necessary, but if it's not I have no reason to do it.

Your router is not real common and I find little written in english and that is all I can read. From what I can tell it has a DSL modem in it. That means the device recommended above will not work since that is designed for cable systems.

Its hard to say if a new device will solve your wireless issues. Dual band does allow you to use the 5g band which has more channels. Problem is the 5g band does not penetrate walls as much.

Lately I don't think there is much of a solution to the over crowding of wifi bandwidth. The tri-band router you see on the market will eat 2/3 or the bandwidth on 2.4g and 8/9 on the 5g. Then you have people that have all the repeaters and mesh systems using even more. Just way to many people with too much stuff competing

You may want to consider powerline.

In any case what you are likely looking for if you want a new router is something that has a 1200 or 1450 number on it. This are mid range router that match most end device. Does no good to buy a router that uses 4x4 mimo when your end devices only have 2 antenna.

In your case you are going to need a DSL modem in it. This will somewhat limit your choice but it is mostly high end features that are hard to get.

Brand wise tplink tends to be a good quality product that is still lower cost. Asus is one of you better brands but costs a bit more.

I would avoid all the unkown brands...sorta like the one you have it is very hard to get support or find information from other users.

Solution
Oct 8, 2018

I didn't even know what the difference between cable and DSL systems is until a few minutes ago when I watched a youtube video about it. And it was in english because I couldn't find anything in italian XD.

By the way, it may be a stupid question, but do you mean that the actual bandwith a device can receive by a tri-band router is reduced by 2/3 on 2g and 8/9 on 5g?
And what do 1200 and 1450 stand for? are they part of the model number or maybe the amount of mb per second that a modem can transfer?

Thanks for the explanation and the advices! :). I've read about powerline. It seems like an amazing tecnology.

A tri band router has 3 radios. 1 2.4g and 2 5g radios. There is a total of 60mhz of bandwidth on 2.4g and the radio uses 40mhz 40/60 ie 2/3. On the 5g there is a total of 180mhz of bandwidth. each 5g radio uses 80mhz for a total of 160mhz. This leaves only 20mhz unused. 160/180 or 8/9. Although you can set routers to only use 20mhz of bandwidth to get the speeds you must use 40mhz on 2.4 and 80mhz on 5g. Back in the days when everyone ran 20mhz lots of people could co-exist now there just is not enough radio bandwidth to share.

The 1200 and 1450 are the silly fake numbers. The sorta mean total bandwidth but it is a lie. 1200 is 300mbps on 2.4 and 900 on 5g. 1450 is 450 and 1000. It is actually very complex to describe what those really mean. You can look up MCS values if you really want to know.

The key difference though is the one that claims 1200 is using 2 antenna feeds. The 1450 uses 3 antenna feeds. Most end devices only have 1 or 2 antenna but there is not a huge difference in price between 1200 and 1450 routers.

In real world you get nowhere near those speeds. You only get a tiny fraction. Part of the lie is you can't actually use the 2.4 and 5g radios at the same time on a end device. 2 different device can which is why they lie and add them together.

If you want to see more realistic numbers this site is interesting.
https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/tools/charts/router/bar/117-2_4-ghz-profile-dn/35

You will note that on router that are claiming 800mbps on 2.4g get well under 100mbps and they claim over 1gbits on 5g and get under 300mbps