Advice for new monitor old one fried yesterday :-(

600rr

Honorable
Mar 6, 2012
So my 4 year old Samsung (just out of warranty of course) 245bw monitor fried itself this week. Looking to replace it with a new one. I do light gaming, Diablo 3, the occasional FPS and some other random games, nothing serious. I will be using for that and maybe photography and movies. Very general purposes. If I can manage it Id like to spend $300 - $400. I'd love a 27" ips with g-sync and 144Hz but dropping $800 is just not in the budget and honestly I don't need that nice of a monitor.

I am guessing it comes down to 24" vs 27" and ips vs TN.

A 27" IPS with pretty good response time and colors accuracy, a 27 ips with crap response time and decent colors, or a very nice 24" TN with great response time a good colors or a 27" TN with good response time and good colors....

Any recommendations?

The current monitor is 1900x1200 would it feel like I am stepping backwards to get any monitor that is 1080p even if it's ips?

Also would I have any issues running 1440 with the below setup?

CPU; Sandy Bridge I5 2500k
Mobo: Asus P8Z58-V Pro / Gen
8gb ram
Nvidia 660ti

Solution
I wouldn't go 1440p on that GPU, it is a good GPU it is just that it won't handle any real new game at 1440p too well, the second one comes out that you actually want to try you will be sad face :(
Since you arn't taking the games super serious I think it is fine to take a hit on the response times.
A 27" or even 24" IPS would be the way to go IMHO (assuming your not colour blind to some degree), or maybe even a ultra wide. http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=558_1213&products_id=27851 (AUD btw)

Vosgy

Honorable
Nov 24, 2014
I wouldn't go 1440p on that GPU, it is a good GPU it is just that it won't handle any real new game at 1440p too well, the second one comes out that you actually want to try you will be sad face :(
Since you arn't taking the games super serious I think it is fine to take a hit on the response times.
A 27" or even 24" IPS would be the way to go IMHO (assuming your not colour blind to some degree), or maybe even a ultra wide. http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=558_1213&products_id=27851 (AUD btw)

Solution

TRENDING THREADS