[SOLVED] Advice for New Small Business Server

Sep 23, 2020
Hello,
I'm currently researching options for my small business' new server, and I'm quite frankly not sure where to start. Here are my requirements:
Use case: Pulling data from a website, database operations, potentially hosting a few small internal sites for the company

Budget: ~$1000

Priorities:
  1. Reliability. Far and away the most important piece of this, I need this server to have reliable uptime. In the same vein,
  2. Raid 5 or 6 support. Preferably at the hardware level
  3. Storage space.
  4. Performance. Good performance is certainly ideal, but not as important as the first three.

This isn't really my area of expertise, so any advice is appreciated! Thank you!

Solution
Yeah, there's a lot of very specific questions that need to be asked to assess the amount of load you're going to actually have.

That being said, a Dell R720/730 with 128GB of ram should handle it easy, and it has hardware raid.

USAFRet

Titan
This isn't really my area of expertise, so any advice is appreciated! Thank you!

Call Dell or HP, and give them your money.
Unless your primary job is the "IT guy", and it does not appear to be....don't build this on your own.

As an aside, beyond the RAID whatever...you also need an actual backup situation.