Advice for new system - motherboards, processors, a power su

ftcnt

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2004
I'm looking to buy a new computer and want to get some advice and opinions on motherboards, processors, a power supply, case and ram. It will be a home desktop pc. I'm going to be doing a lot of multi-tasking, running different programs at once like ms word, dreamweaver and statistics programs. I'd like it to be very quick so that I can switch between programs as my current machine is sluggish but it is very old. How much RAM should I be looking at and what type ? As well, what are some above average video cards that you would recommend? As for a power supply, how much juice do I need? I'd like to use my old CD drives & DVD drives but I want to get larger hard drive disks. At this point, I'd like to keep my system under 1000 USD. thanks for your help!

Advice for new system - motherboards, processors, a power supply, case and ram

rook

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2003
Well, with the supplied info I'd recomend something like this.

MB: Abit IB9 Tho if you want to go with a RAID I'd recomend something with the ICH8R southbridge.

CPU: E6600 C2D Can't go wrong with a C2D.

Memory: A-Data DDR2 800 Should be fine unless you plan to OC. Diffenetly go with 2GB if you plan on multi tasking alot.

Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda 320 Can always go bigger or add more later.

Power supply: Forton Source 400w A brand I trust.

Video: X1950 Pro Now this may be more than you need if you don't plan on gaming at all. And mid priced DX10 cards should be coming soon.

Case: Standard case Nothing special with the case.

Now if you are in the USA that will run you about $974 shipped. That was just a quick run through the components. Without going through and looking for the absolute best deals. This may or may not meet your needs but it's a starting point for what I see as a solid performing system.